What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

question about vista and wireless

ragenrok

Ok, I have a question about vista and wireless.
I know backw hen vista was first launched I seen people complaining that vista constanly renewed the connection every like 10 seocnds causing un-playable conditions in games and I wanted to know if that still happens?
I recently moved my computer into another room and going wireless would make everything alot easier but if it makes it hard to play my games I wont worry about it.

bojangles

If it's mainly for gaming I highly suggest that you keep it wired. Wireless is just one of those things where if there's a blip in the air it's going to completely screw up your connection until you resync. Not only that, but it also increases lag, which is bad. But if you're only playing casually and lightly I would go wireless...

Mibs

I recently had to switch to wireless and I'm running Vista. I have noticed considerable lag spikes while gaming compared to a wired connection. If you can get a wire running, I recommend you do it.

Jmac

My friend has the D-Link DIR-655 and D-Link Xtreme N PCI wireless adapter and his ping is usually about the same as mine in the games/servers we play on and I haven't heard him complain about any lag spikes. Keep in mind, though, that D-Link, for whatever reason, doesn't ship the 64-bit drivers on the disc, so you'll need to download those on another computer in order to install the wireless card in the PC if you have Vista x64.

If you plan on gaming on a wireless network, don't cheap out and you'll probably be fine.

Buy it from Staples, Futureshop, Best Buy, etc. or any other place w/ a decent return policy so you can return the wireless system if it doesn't meet your needs.