What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Question about VPN

Lima

Better browsing habits, email do and don't... That sort of stuff. Nuke and pave the system including checking for viruses in bootsectors etc. If this computer is on a network with others then those should be treated the same.

will be passing on this info. Glad it isn't on a network..

Thank you and everyone as well :biggrin:

Cannon Fodder

Also anywhere they use online with secret phrases get them to change those.

That, and don't be usin' the same password on multiple sites, like people I know do! :doh: And don't be usin' stuff like, "123456789", or something similarly stupid. It was actually quite funny while watchin' the local TV news one day, where they had the top 10 stupidest passwords on a piece of paper, and walked around Vancouver, asking people if they used any of the passwords on the list, and it blew me away at how many people said they used one of them, and one moron actually admitted which one, on-air! :whistle:

Chris

VPN encrypts data content, and slows down the transmission. Hence, is there a benefit using a router? I tried to run vpn on my spare pc, and download speed changed from 60 mbps to about 10 mbps, and also whatismyip shows my real isp address. I suspect running vpn on a router also show the real ips address. To be absolutely anonymous external vpn is a must. Are my observations here correct?

Cannon Fodder

Chris, I'm certainly no expert on the subject, but I'm pretty sure your real IP address SHOULD NOT be showing up when running some form of a VPN on either a PC, or a router.... I could be wrong, but that kinda defeats the whole purpose of using a VPN in the 1st place. OTOH, I suppose, based on what you're saying, that sort of setup is merely encrypting the data, so it makes your usage anonymous, rather than your location, whereas using an "external VPN", such as what we use, does both.

As for the encryption slowing down your speed, yes, to some degree, but I expect it depends on several factors. Just out of curiosity, I just did a few speed tests here. As mentioned earlier, we're near Vancouver, and using Shaw as our ISP, and our speeds are supposed to be 75Mbps down/7.5Mbps up, but we usually get ~85/8.5. I first did a speed test to a server in Burnaby, and got 85/8. I then connected to our VPN's(Private Internet Access) Vancouver server, and then did a speed test to the same server in Burnaby, and got 80.5/7.7. To check further, I then connected to PIA's Silicon Valley server, and did a speed test to the same Burnaby server as the 1st two tests, and got 80.25/7.5, so yes, some speed loss, but not that significant. Of course, YMMV.....

Last edited:

Lima

ok, got router firmware installed and did a speed test of the router alone just to see and, the difference is huge on a hardware level.. 130 down before and 40 down after, up remained the same.*Results remained the same whether the WRT54 was placed in front or behind ISP router.

My router (WRT54GL) is pretty old though so it can be expected from what I gather.. is this true? I am with Videotron as my ISP.

Anyone else with them and what hardware (Router) is working for you?

Maybe I should start a separate thread for that..

**Edit: The slowdown is due to my Linksys router hardware limitation.. some research refreshed my memory, been a while..

Last edited:

Cannon Fodder

ok, got router firmware installed and did a speed test of the router alone just to see and, the difference is huge on a hardware level.. 130 down before and 40 down after, up remained the same.*Results remained the same whether the WRT54 was placed in front or behind ISP router.

Are you referring to the speed of the router with JUST Tomato firmware on it, or are you talking about it with Tomato, AND either OpenVPN(IIRC, free) or one of the VPN service's VPN implementations as well? Also, when using the router, have you set the ISP's router as JUST a modem?

My router (WRT54GL) is pretty old though so it can be expected from what I gather.. is this true?

Yeah, I'm not sure what the expected throughput of that router is. A bit of Googling for that info should turn up the answer.... I know Tom's Hardware used to have a huge list of routers, and what speeds they realistically can get.... ok, I see you did an edit, while I was typing this.

My 1st question is still valid though.....

enaberif

Wrt54gl is suppppppppppppper old. Buy something new and everything will perform better. That router does not bode well for modern speeds.

Lima

Are you referring to the speed of the router with JUST Tomato firmware on it, or are you talking about it with Tomato, AND either OpenVPN(IIRC, free) or one of the VPN service's VPN implementations as well? Also, when using the router, have you set the ISP's router as JUST a modem?

Yeah, I'm not sure what the expected throughput of that router is. A bit of Googling for that info should turn up the answer.... I know Tom's Hardware used to have a huge list of routers, and what speeds they realistically can get.... ok, I see you did an edit, while I was typing this.

My 1st question is still valid though.....

Yes, was referring to the router alone, caught on about the speed drop when on VPN due to encryption n' stuff.

Wrt54gl is suppppppppppppper old. Buy something new and everything will perform better. That router does not bode well for modern speeds.

aaaahahahahahahaa so true, it farts dust now..

Real happy with it though. In all the years I have it, it never failed or experienced even the slightest type of hick-up

Don't know which one to pick from all the new stuff out there atm.. Also seems DD-WRT and Open WRT are the more common fimware for todays gear.. thought?

***Edit: took a gamble on a T-Mobile AC1900 from Amazon and all went well. Now runing Asus firmware and gonna try the Merlin firmware next.

Last edited:

Latest posts