What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Question for the experts... WDTV Wifi

KRAFTIG

The WDTV angle is a curveball sh$t, I really enjoy the GUI. Since the router is dated, I'm going to update that since the $$ is minial at best. Now I need to decide if I move forward with the Linksys EA4500 or Asus RT-N66U

Gentlemen, I do appreciate your feedback, thanks again!

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
I've had the unit for 2-3 years served its purpose for Wi-Fi for my iPhone.

So the question is do I have to spend $170 on a router to stream HD movies and provide Wi-Fi for my iPhone?
Read Mak's reply, it makes a lot of sense. As for the router itself, no need to spend '170$' for a new one - now which one? I have no idea, since my setup is fully wired. I don't know what WDLive needs in regards to wireless performance.

edit: just saw your reply - I use the 'older' Asus RT-N56U router and it's a great model. If they carried on with the 66 with external antennaes, then it can only be better.

enaberif

When I had that router I couldn't do any streaming wired or wireless or even using file sharing without it dropping off. The router can't handle large amounts of data without puking.

KRAFTIG

When I had that router I couldn't do any streaming wired or wireless or even using file sharing without it dropping off. The router can't handle large amounts of data without puking.
Then you have more problems than me :) It works fine 80-90% of the time.

KRAFTIG

this it ? check firmware
Yes. Firmware is always the latest as you are automatically informed of updates through the device. I changed the channel sort of speak and things seems fine... Thank you sir.

grinder

like MAK suggests, don't give up on your equipment until you tune some of the settings. I have a WDTV too and it play's back high-def content flawlessly thru my wireless D-Link access point.

1) turn off auto-chan and pick one of the main channels instead... 1, 6 or 11 (I typically lock it on 1)
2) try to use only AES encryption, disable TKIP if possible (AES is more hardware assisted and faster, TKIP is slower)
3) try to position the WDTV closer temporarily to test... maybe you have something like a microwave or cordless phone muxing with your signal.

Latest posts

Twitter