What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Questions for HTPC gurus....

Perineum

(Editing for clarity!)

I couldn't find a HTPC section to our forum so I put it here. If I'm wrong then please move it.

I have a POS HTPC now, but I want to step it up a notch, I want to game and possibly fold on it, and be able to play Blu-ray discs

I was considering something like a P5Q-EM motherboard as it can do Blu-ray with audio over HDMI with little to no issues.... however...

It won't fold...

and it won't game...

I plan to emulate Wii and play other games on my HTPC.

It seems like I'm going to end up using an Nvidia video card, I guess. I would use ATI, and maybe actually prefer it as it would give me an excuse to NOT fold on the damn thing and actually leave it to be a nice quiet HTPC box, not a noisy, squealing, hot folding machine.

Anyway, I'd like to have 7.1 or 7.2 (whatever the cool people use these days) audio passed over HDMI into my reciever (which I don't have yet) or directly into my TV (which I will do for now)

I see my GTX260 has a cable for SPDIF into the Nvidia video card, will this pass 7.1 audio fine? What output do I use? Is a DVI to HDMI converter fine with this setup? Will it pass the audio or will the converter have to be a special one?

Basically I've not done any sort of audio over HDMI whatsoever and I actually think some of you know what the hell you're talking about :thumb:

I'm not being lazy, I've already googled but most people are fine with integrated video.

Oh, and I have an Antec Fusion Max case, so it'll hold an ATX motherboard and have a good PSU if I want...

Last edited:

Skyllz

I'm currently building one with that exact mobo I have taken out of my gaming rig since I did not get any decent offers.

I'll drop a cheap dual core(already found) and take it from there. It has a HDMI out already, if it works good without lag i'll be happy, if it does not, i'll just overclock it a little or drop a spare 4850 I have here. I dont know how it will go yet, for me it'll be 99% to playback 720p/1080p movies/tv shows i'll have picked-up.

Arinoth

Staff member
Anyway, I'd like to have 7.1 or 7.2 (whatever the cool people use these days) audio passed over HDMI into my reciever (which I don't have yet) or directly into my TV (which I will do for now)

I see my GTX260 has a cable for SPDIF into the Nvidia video card, will this pass 7.1 audio fine? What output do I use? Is a DVI to HDMI converter fine with this setup? Will it pass the audio or will the converter have to be a special one?

Basically I've not done any sort of audio over HDMI whatsoever and I actually think some of you know what the hell you're talking about :thumb:
Yes it does work, seeing as i've tried it myself when i first got my card. The little DVI - HDMI converter it comes along with.

MonsterSound

Thanks for the info. I'm building a cheap HTPC and was wondering about the audio through a DVI-HDMI converter.
I using a spare 9600GT (with the S/PDIF cable). I'm going to finish the build tonight and try it (hopefully).

Phobia

I have an xfx 4350 and it will put 7.1 sound through hdmi cables. I do not have it hooked up to my surround sound, because i don't have a reciever yet; however, I know that it will because i read reviews on it before i bought it. I have never had a problem watching movies or playing the n64 emulator on it.

Perineum

Alright, thanks for the information..... anyone done the exact same thing with a GTX260 or at least heard of anyone doing it?

Latest posts

Twitter