What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Quiet case with good airflow? Is the Meshify the best option?

chrisk

Folding Captain
Hey folks;
Think I need to replace my old CM Trooper with something updated. Rubber and plastic breaks off when I make adjustments, and there are options on there that no longer work (e-sata, fan controller, and dock all no longer work).

I almost pulled the trigger on the Fractal Design Meshify S2 Dark Tempered Glass mid-tower, but I'm a bit concerned about the cooling (I still might grab it). I also looked hard at the Define 7 XL, but cooling performance looked like an issue there too.

Here is what i am looking for:
- full tower, or a large mid-tower
- can fit dual 120mm AIO top mounted
- USB-C front panel port
- easy cable management
- glass side panel (just one side)
- quiet*
- good air flow*
- must be less than $300

*I understand that there is a trade-off on air flow and quiet. I think the Meshify might be the compromise there on this, but want to make sure I am not missing a good option. I could slow fans down with mobo controller curves if I needed to quiet them down a bit.

What I really don't care about:
- lights. I'll probably turn them off
- fan controllers (I'll let the mobo handle that job)
- the rear panel behind the mobo tray I would prefer to not be glass, as I want to hide cables)
- only need room for a few hard drives, and a single GPU
- weight
- custom loop stuff. Those days are done.

Even though I prefer simple-looking cases, if I could find something like a HAF-X with USB-C, I would probably give it a hard look as I liked those large fans. I also miss my old 800D.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
The meshify series is arguably the best mid sized case on the market.

I'm leaning more and more towards smaller cases personally. I really wish I didnt have a full ATX mobo so I could downsize my Define C, even though it is a great case, and other than stylistically the same as the Mesh C.

I'd seriously look at the Meshify C over the S2 if you dont need more room, custom loop room, more HDD bays (who needs those with M.2?)...etc...and the cooling ability is the same.

...but again...I like smaller cases.

chrisk

Folding Captain
Meshify C def looks more budget friendly, but with my 7-year upgrade cycle I'm looking for USB-C on the front panel this time :)

clshades

Lots of good case reviews on the Youtube done by https://twitter.com/dimitry49

I trust this guys reviews more than anyone. I went with USB C front panel too man... can't do without it.

I'm pretty happy with my Fractal Design R7 USBC. I can definitely hear the fans when I'm crunching video or playing games tho.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Lian Li Lancool ii
Phanteks P400a
Fractal Meshify S2
Antec Dark Avenger
... And about a hundred others.

Tbh, there are too many cases that can handle what you want. Maybe pick some very specific features you'd like to have?

chrisk

Folding Captain
Lian Li Lancool ii
Phanteks P400a
Fractal Meshify S2
Antec Dark Avenger
... And about a hundred others.

Tbh, there are too many cases that can handle what you want. Maybe pick some very specific features you'd like to have?

Thanks for the suggestions. I ruled out most of these with the requirements I mentioned already in the first post at the top :) I thought I was already pretty picky, TBH.

- The Lian Li has a windowed panel on both sides (I only want a window on one side to help me hide cables)
- Phanteks P400a does not have USB-C front panel
- Antec Dark Avenger does not have USB-C on front panel either
- Meshify S2 already on my list of possibilities as it meets my requirements

The USB-C front panel port has ruled a lot of options out.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
My bad on missing the C part, I'll take a look around again.

Btw, the Lancool ii might have windows in both sides, but did you notice the panels specifically made to hide wiring? Best if both worlds imo.

chrisk

Folding Captain
Lots of good case reviews on the Youtube done by https://twitter.com/dimitry49

I trust this guys reviews more than anyone. I went with USB C front panel too man... can't do without it.

I'm pretty happy with my Fractal Design R7 USBC. I can definitely hear the fans when I'm crunching video or playing games tho.

Yep I think Dimitry's reviews are the best. I'll see what he has to say again about the Fractal's I've been looking at (I did look at his review of the 7 already by the looks, but I have seen so many now I'll have to watch again). I was looking at the Define 7 XL and ruled it out due to reports of poor air flow, but Steve Burke said that taking the front vents off helps a fair bit. His reviews got me looking at the Meshify.

I'll take a closer look at the mid-tower R7 though again.

chrisk

Folding Captain
My bad on missing the C part, I'll take a look around again.

Btw, the Lancool ii might have windows in both sides, but did you notice the panels specifically made to hide wiring? Best if both worlds imo.

I didn't see that part, so thanks for pointing it out! It would be nice to have the glossy panels on both sides, and I'm thinking the tempered glass would help with sound suppression.

I appreciate the suggestions and help. I'll probably be stuck with whatever I buy for a long time due to limited budget these days, so I'm being extra picky this time.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
WITH USB-C this time:
-Phanteks P600s
-Thermaltake view 51 (RGB 200mms can be swapped/sold for a fair amount of you really hate them, I'd just turn the rgbs to a single color or off personally)
-Cooler Master H500m (like above with 2x 200mm RGB. Has a glass right side panel, but again it comes with hiding panels for the wiring.)
-Lian Li Lancool One Digital (because Li Li cases are always an option haha)

Latest posts

Twitter