What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Quiet case with good airflow? Is the Meshify the best option?

Vittra

There's quite a few airflow focused cases now, and there's an argument to be made that if you go with relatively unrestricted airflow over a blocked off intake, you can run fans at lower speeds and achieve a similiar (not the same) dB level.

Alright, onto options:

Phanteks P500A

It's new, based on the same chassis as the P600S, airflow focused, same size range as the Meshify S2. Has USB-C, excellent all around option, but availability is scare in Canada due to how new it is.

Lian Li Lancool II Mesh

Don't discount this particular one due to the side glass panel! Most of it is blocked off anyway. Same issue with availability right now, as they were both released the same week.

A bit smaller (around ~10L smaller if I recall correctly). It doesn't come with the USB-C (separate purchase) and that's what hurts it for your criteria.

Beyond that, I always check Dmitry's HWC videos for an overview, and then GN for detailed reviews and specifics. Here's an overview of the state of airflow cases these days:

Last edited:

chrisk

Folding Captain
WITH USB-C this time:
-Phanteks P600s
-Thermaltake view 51 (RGB 200mms can be swapped/sold for a fair amount of you really hate them, I'd just turn the rgbs to a single color or off personally)
-Cooler Master H500m (like above with 2x 200mm RGB. Has a glass right side panel, but again it comes with hiding panels for the wiring.)
-Lian Li Lancool One Digital (because Li Li cases are always an option haha)
Some options here I had not looked at for a bit.
- P600S seems hard to find, but I like this one and have not looked too closely at it.
- View 51 looks interesting. I don't have an issue with one-colour for the fans, but would prefer to turn them off (will also make the rig less interesting to the toddler lol)
- The H500m was on my early list, but I did rule it out due to the glass right-side panel. I'll have to look for some pictures and more info on hiding the panel.
- The Lian Li Lancool One Digital looks compelling, and I like the price. This one shoots to the top if its quiet and cools well (or if I can just add a fan or two to improve).

chrisk

Folding Captain
There's quite a few airflow focused cases now, and there's an argument to be made that if you go with relatively unrestricted airflow over a blocked off intake, you can run fans at lower speeds and achieve a similiar (not the same) dB level.

Alright, onto options:

Phanteks P500A

It's new, based on the same chassis as the P600S, airflow focused, same size range as the Meshify S2. Has USB-C, excellent all around option, but availability is scare in Canada due to how new it is.

Lian Li Lancool II Mesh

Don't discount this particular one due to the side glass panel! Most of it is blocked off anyway. Same issue with availability right now, as they were both released the same week.

A bit smaller (around ~10L smaller if I recall correctly), but I wouldn't necessarily discount it because of the side glass panel. It doesn't come with the USB-C (separate purchase) and that's what hurts it for your criteria.

Beyond that, I always check Dmitry's HWC videos for an overview, and then GN for detailed reviews and specifics. Here's an overview of the state of airflow cases these days:

I've been looking at Steve's videos a lot, as well as Dimitry's too. I agree, great resources.

I'm not desperate for anything right now, so if the right one is announced I can wait. But looks like I have lots of options now.

Thanks everyone!

Izerous

Folding Team
O11 Air / Dynamic seems like it would check off just about everything on your list. Technically the dynamic has more than 1 glass panel but it is the front not the back so cable hiding isn't of a concern.

And without concern would hold your AIOs etc.

clshades

Front panel swings open on the r7 or it can simply be removed. By far the easiest AIO installation of any case ever. It's 27c in my place and the cpu is running at 33 Celsius. GPU at 100% sits around 66-70 Celsius. CPU under load never gets over 40, which is reasonable considering how warm my place is. I honestly couldn't be happier with this case... it's really well built.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Tbh I really don't like the "intake" fans on the 011 being 90° off, just seems like it would make a mess of the airflow.

And even more bluntly.... Fractal design seems nowadays like a generic case maker. Steel boxes with "just okay" everything. Maybe ten+ years ago that were a premium brand, but they've hardly changed since. So... Wouldn't be my first choice.

JD

Staff member
Maybe ten+ years ago that were a premium brand, but they've hardly changed since. So... Wouldn't be my first choice.
Granted I haven't bought "expensive" cases in a while, but the Phanteks P300 and CM MasterCase Pro 3, the steel is so thin. My Cosmos II feels like an absolute tank, and especially my older Silverstone FT03.

Even my 10yr old Fractal Define R3 is pretty flimsy, the side panels barely fit right anymore. It's seen a bit of abuse being my "server", so it gets opened and moved around more often than my other PCs.

Anyways, I like the looks of the CM MasterCase SL600M Black Edition (seems like the latest revision). It looks solidly built and actually has aluminum panels. It goes with the "chimney" design for cooling which generally seems effective. However, I've never really seen them in stock up here :( Ticks all your boxes (except maybe price).

chrisk

Folding Captain
The Meshify S2 (white) is on the short list, plus the P600s. Having a hard time finding the P600s in all black or grey, found one that is white, but I'm thinking the top and front panels being removed on the white P600s will look a bit odd to me. So I'm leaning towards the Meshify S2 (white, or black with dark tempered glass).

I agree with cmetaphor, that the cases are pretty 'generic', but I think the white on the S2 Meshify looks a bit sharp.

The Lian Li Lancool II Mesh looks good, but no sign of it anywhere.