What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Quiet case with good airflow? Is the Meshify the best option?

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Just remember that if you do stick with the S2 and add more intakes, there stills needs to be either A) even more exhaust fans or B) the exhaust fans run much faster. You're trying to pull air out of the case fast, but too much intake will mess up the flow. Balanced airflow isn't bad per se, but IMO its just not as good as negative (in this specific case, and by case I mean your situation/build not a case case).

chrisk

Folding Captain
Just remember that if you do stick with the S2 and add more intakes, there stills needs to be either A) even more exhaust fans or B) the exhaust fans run much faster. You're trying to pull air out of the case fast, but too much intake will mess up the flow. Balanced airflow isn't bad per se, but IMO its just not as good as negative (in this specific case, and by case I mean your situation/build not a case case).

Understood. I'm leaning more towards the 500DX, but still deciding if cable management is going to be a bitch with it. I could take the $100 I'll save and use that to get a new HDD which would let me eliminate some cables too.

I think this thread has explained something to me that I always wondered about...I got rid of my Corsair 800D after i got out of custom watercooling, and when I moved to the CM Trooper I have that has a lot of intake, I never got better thermals over my 800D with much less intake...I think I had setup my 800D with negative pressure. where the setup I have now is more balanced.

Would this give me negative too perhaps?

1596217620906.png

CMetaphor

Quadfather
That photo? Nope.
You forget that rads are restrictive and 140s push a lot more air at lower rpm than 120s. So 2x 140mm intakes vs 1x 140mm and a 2x240mm rad probably equals balanced at best, or possibly positive air pressure, depending on how hard you ran the AIO fans. It's even possible that if your AIO fans weren't running fast enough that the 140mm exhaust starved them a bit. Push-pull and four fans on the AIO might've gotten you to negative, but not by a lot.

Lysrin

IMO you should always have radiator fans pulling cool air through them.
You guys have told me this several times, and when I take my loop apart to replace my CPU block in the next couple of weeks I will be switching my top two 120 mm to intake rather than exhaust.

I had two intakes in front, one exhaust in the back, and two exhaust up top. The set of twos are on rads. When temps were a little higher than I wanted, after recommendations here, I tried just switching the one back fan to draw in. That was just easier to try than messing with my rad fans. I had reduced temps of 3-5 C just by feeding those top fans some cool air drawn in from the back.

So I am thinking that pulling cool air in through your rads is definitely the way to go. Hopefully I didn't wander off point there. Only skimmed the rest of the posts.

chrisk

Folding Captain
Yep guys you helped a lot. I'm still trying to figure out if I should grab the 500DX. The issuse I keep hearing about is the metal plate to the right of the mobo...it is apparently very tough on cable management...

But I have determined that I will be doing front intake on my AIO at the minimum. I kinda wish now that I got a 280mm AIO rather than a 240mm, since I went that route to get extra space at the top for mobo connectors, which is now not an issue. But my thermals in my current case (CM trooper) have been pretty good I think, so I have not worried about it.

chrisk

Folding Captain
If I were going top-mounted for my 240 AIO, I think I would go with the 500DX. But since I seem to be headed towards a front-mounted AIO, with a 140mm fan below it, the Meshify S2 will give me more room to do so (with options to add another fan or two if needed). The Meshify S2 also gives me more options to keep my 3.5in HDDs for a bit too.

The 500DX is a compelling case for anyone looking for something a bit compact with great thermals and acoustics. Just not the right fit for me ATM.

Thanks everyone. I've settled on the Meshify S2 white, with front-mounted 240mm AIO set to pull air in, a 140mm fan below it set as intake as well, with two 140mm fans on top as exhaust, and a rear exhaust.

One last question on the fans and rad...I'm assuming the fans will pull the outside air in through the rad, correct?

CMetaphor

Quadfather
One last question on the fans and rad...I'm assuming the fans will pull the outside air in through the rad, correct?
Push pull is always best IMO, but if you don't have the fans, just push I'd say. The hot air flopping out of the back of the 240 AIO will get dragged out of the case super fast by all the exhausting fans.

The only other thing I'd suggest is: build it and try it. Play with fans speeds and fan profiles for the AIO, and either simple constant fans speeds for the case fans with a fan controller, low noise adapter (like Noctua ones) or make them their own profile as well. You can probably get away with the speeds/profile for all three 140mm exhaust fans, but the front 140 intake will likely need to be a bit faster and independent. If it were a fan controller or profile, I'd say something like 30-50% fan speed for the 3x 140mm exhausts and about 50-75% for the front intake - because unless you add more fans it's the only thing sending the really nice cool air at your GPU and the rest of your system. Alternatively, if you add a 120mm bottom fan to the meshify, then both it and the 140 intake can go slower.

No matter what the case (woo! Puns!): Build your system, benchmark it with both a cpu bench and gpu bench (my preferences are prime95 and gpu fur benchmark) at the same time and play with the fan speeds till you get a nice balance between noise and cooling.

Good luck! 👍

PS:
Oh... don't just go on what I say btw. Maybe I'm some quack nutcase that doesn't know a thing, who knows? Anyone else agree with me, or disagree? Certified fresh or certifiable?

chrisk

Folding Captain
I've got a few fan headers on my Asus B550 that are managing the AIO fans and case fans I have already (using a PWM splitter on my AIO fans and the CPU fan header is controlling those). I got 5 fan headers on there in total.

I have another splitter I'll probably use for the top two to hook up to the exhaust there too.

PS:
Oh... don't just go on what I say btw. Maybe I'm some quack nutcase that doesn't know a thing, who knows? Anyone else agree with me, or disagree? Certified fresh or certifiable?
Oh, I know who the nutbars are around here :) Been out drinking with a few of them. I do understand some of this stuff depends on the particular gear, combinations, ambients, etc.

freeagent

Looks good to me, myself I would rather have fans pushing through the rad rather than pulling. Or push/pull.. but not pull only. I had to retire my Meshify C temporarily. My beloved Asus died, and I am now using an EATX Assrock. I would have to cut at least an inch out to make it fit. Otoh it is nice to be able to stick my hands in a case and have room to move, lots of room lol. But I miss my airflow.

Latest posts

Twitter