What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Quiet case with good airflow? Is the Meshify the best option?

chrisk

Folding Captain
Nice work. The kryonaut should give better temps the AS5.

What fan speed do you have running at idle? Have you checked GPU temps yet?

I'm wondering if I didn't apply enough of the Kryonaut...I use the pea method, but last time I used the AS5 I used a bit too much...i might have used too little this time.

The temps seem to fluctuate a lot more on the CPU...used to sit at about 34c always, now it seems to fluctuate between 30 and almost 50c quickly.

My GPU temps are about 5c higher at idle.

The case is near silent, but I have been going into the bios and slowly adjusting the speeds. I'm not too scientific about it, TBH but temps are def higher, but case is also much quieter. Just looking for a balance now.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Wow, glad I don't buy Fractal cases often anymore, their QC and design really seem lacking. Your rad barely fit even when slide to the absolute Bottom of the top two 120mm intakes spots, which forced the weird mounting of lowest 120mm intake. That's just Terrible design. They should actually mark it on their site that such a combination isn't possible for this case - an oversight that could've easily been avoided in a dozen different ways.

The temps are a bit higher than I would have expected, even with all the fans set to their lowest. And the temp spiking that fast with a 240mm AIO is... Really not typical. 240mm rad has a lot of water flowing a long distance, it shouldn't be possible for a cpu it's cooling to jump over 20c or so, not that quickly.

For comparison: due to case size limitations I'm running an old H55 for my 3700x. A hot 65w cpu in a mini 120mm AIO that it can barely handle. But I've never seen a spike or more than 6-8c even when suddenly loading all 16 threads at once.

The best way to find out if it's the cpu block contact is just pulling it off, especially if you don't have to twist it you'll see right away if there wasn't enough tim. I personally switched to the "credit card" method many years ago and never have a had a tim problem ever since. (If you didn't know, credit card method is using a small, thin and straight piece of flexible plastic to lay a thin layer of tim evenly across the cpu. Works fantastic for even coating everywhere and almost never results in overflow slipping off the sides of the cpu or "bald" spots.)

Still looks good so far though, the neverending tweaking game has begun haha

Bond007

I'm wondering if I didn't apply enough of the Kryonaut...I use the pea method, but last time I used the AS5 I used a bit too much...i might have used too little this time.

If you have any doubts that the cpu surface isn’t covered, I would check/reapply personally. While people will argue for days about TIM application, I have found applying a touch too much (Not crazy amounts) is better than not enough.

Valkyrie

Chilliwack...Time Is Just A Rubber Band....
How did one of my little kits get over to your place to sneak into the pics? ....Spitting image from what I can see.

Agree to redo the mount. I too prefer center dot, but agree it takes some doing to get it right. There is less chance of trapping air pockets.

chrisk

Folding Captain
Yeah I'm thinking about re-applying the TIM. I have used credit-card method in the past, but always worried about getting bubbles in there.

I had a hell of a time getting the block off the cpu when I took the rig apart for transport. Hoping I didn't separate anything.

Using the rig for work all week and the temps are not in the "damaging" range...even with prime95 or Aida64 testing, the highest temp I saw was 75c, which is basically the same as before I took it apart...I was thinking if it was a bad mount the maz temps would have been worse.

@CMetaphor as for the room in the front, I guess it always pays to measure I guess. But the part that was missing was the location of the mounting holes for the fans in the front...if you look at the 120mm fan image on the left below, I made the assumption that the foun could have mounted lower, so I think that is more on me than them...I would have realized my mistake if I had a diagram of the mount holes in the front, though. The manual had these guides:

1597087728675.png

1597087758592.png

1597087802081.png

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Would a 360 even fit in the front ? I mean, physically sure, but would the holes for push fans all line up? Doesn't seem like it, a 360 would have the same rad bump that your 240 does, so it's still nearly misinformation that they claim such support. And it really isn't your fault, at all. The 120mm fans in front image makes it appear that even IF both the middle and top 120s have to be shifted downward for any reason, the bottom most would still line up - it doesn't. That's alllllll on Fractal.

So you *have* redone the tim and it's still a bit hot? Or not? Either way, you're running super low fan speeds, just crank them up with some custom fan profiles ....

Oh! One thing to double check: my own recent AIO experience just reminded me.... Check to see how your AIO pump reacts when connected to a mobo header. I found that my own AIO pump didn't like being set to "automatic" At All. Setting it to to PWM/DC control (aka 3-pin or 4-pin) immediately made the pump react closer to what I was expecting the "auto" setting to do.

sswilson

Staff member
Would a 360 even fit in the front ? I mean, physically sure, but would the holes for push fans all line up? Doesn't seem like it, a 360 would have the same rad bump that your 240 does, so it's still nearly misinformation that they claim such support. And it really isn't your fault, at all. The 120mm fans in front image makes it appear that even IF both the middle and top 120s have to be shifted downward for any reason, the bottom most would still line up - it doesn't. That's alllllll on Fractal.

So you *have* redone the tim and it's still a bit hot? Or not? Either way, you're running super low fan speeds, just crank them up with some custom fan profiles ....

Oh! One thing to double check: my own recent AIO experience just reminded me.... Check to see how your AIO pump reacts when connected to a mobo header. I found that my own AIO pump didn't like being set to "automatic" At All. Setting it to to PWM/DC control (aka 3-pin or 4-pin) immediately made the pump react closer to what I was expecting the "auto" setting to do.

On the corsair I had, the controller was expecting to do all of the adjustments so I just pegged the motherboard to 100% and let the AIOs controller do it's thing.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
On the corsair I had, the controller was expecting to do all of the adjustments so I just pegged the motherboard to 100% and let the AIOs controller do it's thing.

The one area where Corsair is definitely top of the industry right now is hardware control via software. iCue and the rest of their SW for controlling fans and RGB is beyond what anyone else has.

Just a shame it's so ridiculously expensive. Won't be touching it for a while yet, until it costs less to outfit a PC with corsair stuff than it does buying an entire laptop.

chrisk

Folding Captain

The controller on the pump is set to "auto", and the asus motherboard is set to let the pump stay at 100$ in Qfan setup. Its the same I had before. The fans on the AIO are controlled by the mobo separately.

I have not redone the TIM yet, but will give it a shot next. I've been reading about the Kryonaut etching heatspreaders and plates, so I'll take a look for that.

Only thing I was thinking is that the max temps are the same as before, maybe even 1-2c lower. If I had bad contact on the CPU (either a bad mount or poor TIM application) I would have expected to see higher temps and/or throttling, which I am not.

Speculation/Question: The quickly fluctuating at idle and quicker ramp-up in temps is telling me that its an airflow thing and that the fans just have to cut in before temps stabilize, vs before when I had a bunch of fans just doing close to 100% perhaps?

chrisk

Folding Captain
I just bought a small dolly (that is perfect for this case...I'll have about an inch extra space all around the case). I plan to use a hole saw bit to put some holes in the middle of the dolly where the case grills are to help with intake, and spray it black. The castors will help elevate the case a bit as I'm used to a full-tower:

1597157918365.png

1597158288874.png

1597157953233.png

1597157990428.png

Paid about $40 on Amazon...I don't have many tools for building nor the patience to build this on my own.

Latest posts

Twitter