What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Quiet case with good airflow? Is the Meshify the best option?

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
The temps I'm using are being reported by aida64, but the temps I'm going by are the CPU diode temps. Aida64 and other programs will also report the "CPU temps" which are usually lower. (the diode temps are supposed to be from the cpu package, where the "cpu temps" are read from the mobo socket).

So in your scenario, Aida could have been giving you the cpu socket temps, where Afterburner was giving you the diode temps. Ryzen Master uses the diode temps AFAIK.

Yep, understood. We're on the same page then, I just wanted to be sure you understood that too :)

75c seems totally fine in your case, and mine, barring room ambient factors. Quick google, and I see most reports online between 65-80c, depending on delta.

The only other 3900x owner I know of that deep-dives in to this stuff is @lowfat but I'm not sure if hes still manual vcore maxing CCD & overclocking, so he might not have much to input...

I gave up doing that, as the idle power use vs performance gained wasnt worth it in my use case.

chrisk

Folding Captain
Yep, understood. We're on the same page then, I just wanted to be sure you understood that too :)

75c seems totally fine in your case, and mine, barring room ambient factors. Quick google, and I see most reports online between 65-80c, depending on delta.

The only other 3900x owner I know of that deep-dives in to this stuff is @lowfat but I'm not sure if hes still manual vcore maxing CCD & overclocking, so he might not have much to input...

I gave up doing that, as the idle power use vs performance gained wasnt worth it in my use case.

Haha dropping over 2k on a new rig forces one to get up to speed on these things :)

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Haha dropping over 2k on a new rig forces one to get up to speed on these things :)

TBH, its such a powerful CPU that even with everything on Auto its beyond beastly for 90% of the shit I do. I'm getting more in to video editing which helps use it, but its probably still overkill.

Check out the RAM calculator if you want to get in to some crazy old-school style overclocking fun, and tweak the shit out of your ram. Some easy performance gains to be had using this.

Edit; and this if you want a good background on the actual going ons with Zen & RAM

lowfat

Staff member

I do CCD overclocking but I set VID not Vcore. Cores drop voltage and sleep as if stock. My idle power usage is identical to stock and load power consumption is the same, even tho I get 200MHz+ on all cores over precision boost. Due to the significantly lower voltage.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
@chrisk
Out of curiosity, can you check temps with hwinfo64? It's been my go-to for a few years because it seems to poll Every sensor in a system. You'll get package temps, core temps, sensor temps, etc all at once, but it may help confirm the numbers for you. It also shows fun things like when a cpu hits thermal throttling or power throttling, distance to tj max, etc.

chrisk

Folding Captain
@chrisk
Out of curiosity, can you check temps with hwinfo64? It's been my go-to for a few years because it seems to poll Every sensor in a system. You'll get package temps, core temps, sensor temps, etc all at once, but it may help confirm the numbers for you. It also shows fun things like when a cpu hits thermal throttling or power throttling, distance to tj max, etc.

Will do. I was reading that AMD has said that using too many monitoring programs will cause the cpu temps to spike more often due to excessive polling....kinda like some weird quantum entanglement observation stuff. But I'll pop hwinfo on there as well but I want to keep my aida install as I like all the monitoring panels I get.

chrisk

Folding Captain
Final tweaks to the setup. removed my 8-10 year old HDDs, and replaced them with a singular WD Gold 6TB drive.

Drilled three large holes in the centre of the dolly to let some air get under the chassis (and at the carpet underneath), and painted it black (with some gloss to help keep dust from sticking to it).

1597633908922.png

Perfect fit...kinda. The foam pads on the dolly are in the perfect locations, but its not stable enough to be able to wheel it.

1597634026725.png

Gotta keep the wheels sticking outwards for extra stability:

1597633989501.png

Resting against the side of the desk it's stable, and the dolly gives it a bit more height for access to the ports:

1597634175945.png

So unless something comes up, I'm hoping that's the majority of my PC upgrades and spending for a while....I do have a NAS in my future, but that will have to wait.

Thanks again everyone!!