What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

R9 290 Power color pcs+ vs. sapphire tri-x

Luay79

So both cards are triple slot, triple fan designs and sell for the same price below $400. I suppose it boils down to memory brand, noise, clocks and overclocks, and most importantly personal experience. Any ideas?

I have the 4 pci-e 3.0 slot, plx equipped gigabyte ga-z97x-gaming motherboard. Do you think crossfiring two of these babies in slot 1 & 3 would be safe temp wise, knowing there are four slots between them? The case will have two 140mm front fans.

sswilson

Staff member
I'm not sure if they've improved things but I haven't even considered buying a sapphire branded item in almost a decade based off of the horrendous lack of support and general poor customer service from their website back in the day.

In fairness, my personal experience is from 10 years ago, but I've yet to hear anybody suggest that things have changed for the better.

No idea on the other brand, but I personally would buy an unknown brand over Sapphire until convinced differently.

Last edited:

TheDarkLord

I RMA-ed a Sapphire Dual X 7950 last month, took em 10 days to send me another card back, they wanted the receipt and the original card to be shipped to Toronto which was $10. Responded to all my emails with in 24 hours. I was very pleased as I've only read crappy sapphire EMA experiences on the web, seems like they're good now

Luay79

My bad as I didn't mention that after-service is not a factor. I'm in Saudi Arabia so all RMAs (God forbid!) will include overseas shipping.

proxy

Sapphire Tri-X is a triple slot? I was under the impression that they were dual slot.

Also from what I've seen of the 290X variant they keep as cool as the Asus DC2, so I don't think you'd have any problems with just 1 slot between them in crossfire with stock settings.

ZzzSleep

The Powercolor PCS 290 is pretty good - at least the triple fan version (avoid the AXR9). It is a triple slot too, but it keeps the card pretty cool.

Don't use it for mining though:
**WARNING: DO NOT BUY POWERCOLOR 290 PCS+ CARDS FOR MINING!!** - Overclockers UK Forums

There does seem to be some VRM cooling too:
cooler3.jpg

Latest posts