What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

R9 290X black screen after a few minutes

moocow

Since I forgot to stay up to buy a 6700X and wouldn't pay for a 6900X on AMD's website (did actually manage to add one to my cart), I'm bumming an old R9 290X off a friend. After a few minutes of gaming, my machine would black screen (monitors' LCD indicator show no signal) and I need to hard reboot. After downgrading to the last certified driver off AMD's website, I'm still getting crashes. Not sure if it's overheating or the PSU is just too old since it was idling at 60C and the PSU is at least 10 years old 750W. I also have a spare R9 290 from my friend which I swapped in and it didn't have the same problem running on the same driver.

Stuff I done:
  • Ran Guru 3D driver cleaner between driver installs
  • Use 2 separate power cable for the 8+6 pins
  • Cranked up the side fan intake speed via fan control
According to this review, the test system pulled 300W from the wall and it was using an OC'ed Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme.

Could an old PSU degrade that far? I don't really have another newer PSU to test of similar wattage. I could try an Antec Gaming 520W to see if I get the same problem.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
The fact the other 290 works just find would make me lean towards a faulty gpu not PSU.

sswilson

Staff member
Maybe try underclocking either the GPU or the VRam?

edit: Or try a good cleaning of the cooler and a fresh tim application.

Last edited:

moocow

Paste and thermal pads were replaced a few years ago. The only concern I had is that the thermal pad may not be thick enough. The other thing I noticed is that in Hackintosh, separate rig with Antec 520W, it was perfectly fine in desktop. Don't really have games and apps to push the device. However, the 290X did not crash at the desktop like it did once under Windows 10. I'll try PSU first then new thermal paste and pads before underclocking.

moocow

OK, I repasted the GPU die and double up on the RAM's thermal pad so that they are now for sure is touching the heatsink. Gamed about 30 minutes in Civ5 and it didn't crash. I noticed the fan noise was louder than before so I suspect the unused PSU (non modular) cables was jammed up against the single blower fan and causing it to overheat. Going to try a few more days and see if there's any problem still. I hope the problem is solved because there's no way to buy a new GPU. It's so sad that I actually dreamed about being able to add a GPU to the cart on AMD's website last night.

moocow

OK spoke too soon as it's crashing again even after I swap it to a 520W Antec. I installed HWMonitor and noticed the temps got to 93C before it black screen and then the fan ramping up to higher speed (don't know the speed %). Downloaded MSI Afterburner because the AMD driver doesn't have fan curve control, only min. fan speed oddly enough. Set it to run 60% at 70C, 80% at 80C and 100% at 85C but damn it's way too loud even at 75% when it settled in 74C. Any suggestions beside getting an Arctic Cooling aftermarket cooler to replace the reference single blower?

moocow

I'm leaning toward that direction as my case is pretty dirty. When I yanked the original 750W PSU, the copper coils are grey with dust. When I was using the Asus 290 that has an after market fan design (2 fans), never had a problem.

Latest posts

Twitter