What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Rack mount accessories

Izerous

Folding Team
This kinda belong to a couple things but peripherals seems to cover that majority of it. I'm continuing to get the basement together and in one corner is the server rack I need to finish loading and organizing.

It would be really nice to have the monitor I have mounted in place or a proper rack monitor/keyboard/mouse thing with KVM switch but the ones I have been finding even used start pretty high. Even a keyboard/mouse mount and doing the monitor separately (make something in the garage) would be cool but even just a keyboard/KVM unit is pretty pricy. Anyone come across really good DIY keyboard trays or similar for server racks or cheaper pre-builts not starting at like $500

Making something like the following would be pretty easy I have enough scrap laying around to do it but that only covers the monitor https://www.startech.com/en-ca/server-management/rklcdbk

Izerous

Folding Team
Oh i have a plain roller tray that works "ok" but i had to load a test unit in there from work that isn't meant to be in a rack. I may also end up with a second test unit and in the rack is the best home for them because of exposed circuitry (I have kids) and they have physical relays and the noise gets to be obnoxious out in the open

I was really hoping to find something more enclosed kind of like these. The ones with monitors included are out of my bidget but would be cool. I found a couple used ones but were 720p monitors with broken keyboards going for $250 and up. And new keyboar donly units seem to be $500+

This one isn't even covered* so still nothing could be set on top of the unit treatring it like a shelf so would need another shelf overtop.

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
Ah.... kits like the first one you linked to are probably best "found" used from things like large (formerly queen's assets) government auctions.

edit: The pricing on that second unit is crazy!!!!

sswilson

Staff member
This one's just a sliding keyboard tray, but it's enclosed so you could conceivably have a 17' lcd on top of it. (Assuming it's sturdy enough.... not a lot of info on that page...... ).

There's nothing securing the back of it, so you'd want to have some kind of "L" bracket on the rear to hold it up if you were going to put a monitor on top of it.