What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Rack mounted cooling

Izerous

I don't always buy server racks but when I do all the fans are broken...

My intention was to build a small network rack in the utility room of my house maybe 6-12U and hang it from the roof... instead I came across a full 42U rack with glass door, solid rear door a couple shelves and a moving shelf and I picked it up for only $75, a new wall mounted open frame 12U unit would have cost me more than that.

I need to move a wall to place it where I wan't but that doesn't really matter as I intended to reconfigure the basement over time either way.

Anyways it has 3 fans directly hooked up to a standard wall plug and all three are done for. For an enclosed server rack of this type what should I be looking at for fans. They are getting power they can almost attempt to spin so it isn't just a bad cable.

The most similar model i can find is https://www.startech.com/ca/Server-Management/Racks/41U-x-355-Professional-Computer-Server-Rack-Cabinet~7236CABINET for comparison except it is white. I have not taken the fans out of it yet, long list of projects with higher priority.

Entz

Sounds like a steal on the cost of the rack....

I would pull the fans to see what thickness they are.
120v 120mm x 38mm fans are decently cheap by themselves (i.e. AC Infinity AXIAL 1238 on Amazon) but if is a weird proprietary size or connector then ...$$$

Izerous

Sounds like a steal on the cost of the rack....

I would pull the fans to see what thickness they are.
120v 120mm x 38mm fans are decently cheap by themselves (i.e. AC Infinity AXIAL 1238 on Amazon) but if is a weird proprietary size or connector then ...$$$
Those seem like a better valued option, maybe i'll have time to take them off tonight.

Mr. Friendly

have you checked if a standard 120mm fan will fit? if it does, then any 120mm fan will work and it opens up the options. you might find fans that would work off AliExpress or something.

Izerous

Took the fans off this morning. Origionals are Fulltech UF-12A12 120V 17/15W. Metal bodied 120mm x 38mm. So wont be nearly as bad as i was thinking to find replacements. At a glance i thought theu were an off size and was trying to avoid having to cut new holes and such. Just the thickness is a bit misleading to their size compared to normal desktop fans.

lowfat

Staff member
Those are rebranded Sunon fans. Should be able to get them for a lot cheaper from Aliexpress or eBay. SP101A's are 120V 120x38mm fans, I'd guess that is what these are.

IMO I'd stick w/ brand name fans like Sunon, Sanyo Denki, Delta, Nidec, NMB-MAT. Up front cost will be higher but they'll last a very long time.

Latest posts

Twitter