What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

RAID 0 Error

crispex

Well, I realize it's been an exceedingly long time since I've posted here, and that my first post after so long probably shouldn't be one that's asking for help...

but it is.

Some of you may vaguely remember my build, and the quite enthusiastic build-log that I created here. It hasn't really gone anywhere. Such is life.

On to the problem I'm here for. As stated in the title, there's an error involving RAID 0.

I have a 3 x 640GB WD RAID 0 array, and on booting the system about three days ago, the RAID status screen presented a bright red "ERROR OCCURRED" next to drive #3. I thought all was lost, and that it wouldn't even boot (come on, it's RAID 0. Picky doesn't cover it)... but here I am, and it's still running. My problem is, even though I know a number of things that could be done, I'm afraid to execute any of them without first asking for advice. I don't even want to turn the bugger off. :sad:

According to things like HD Tuner, something less than 2GB, but more than 1GB, of one of the HDD's is actually damaged in some way.

"HD Tune: Intel Raid 0 Volume Error Scan

Scanned data : -266451 MB (1920 GB)
Damaged Blocks : 0.1 % (2 x 732MB)

Assuming a 50x50 cube chart, left-right, top-to-bottom reading orientation...

2 red 'Damaged' cubes appeared in blocks 149 and 150, respectively."

Anything anyone can think of to help me out here would be appreciated.

MonsterSound

I have heard of some better raid controllers that can move data to allow for changing your RAID setup but (as far as I know, which isn't very far) the software is proprietary and tend to be for server cla$$ controllers. For on board controllers I've seen only limited capability for data migration such as changing your raid from 0+1 to 5. Others probably know more but that's what I have seen to date.
What I would do would be to image your data with Ghost or Acronis (you'll need a drive big enough to hold your data of course), then remove the bad drive and re-format 2 a 2 drive RAID0 assuming you want to go that way.
Acronis True Image is free right now from WD btw.
Don't know if that helps but good luck.

Chilly

Backup your data as soon as possible, and/or ghost it, rip it down, replace the bad drive, then rebuild/image the array.

crispex

Hmm.

Well, the original plan was to just ghost the main 600GB partition onto the 1TB drive I have, and then boot from that. (Really, I have left most of my storage space untouched.)

I would then tear down the RAID array, and diagnose the three drives separately. I can only hope and dream that there is some way to just grind the bad sectors out... I've heard that that can be done; grind a given faulty section of a HDD down a bit, and it's good as new. Valid statement? Way to do it? I don't know.

(Edit:)
MonsterSound, thanks for that link. I never realized WD had something like that. I'm going to use that to do what I just wrote about.

Latest posts