What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

RAID help needed.

Mr. Friendly

I've a client that's setting up 24x HDD for recording and storing surveillance feeds.

what RAID configuration would be best and what LSI MegaRAID would you recommend? yes, has to be an LSI / Broadcom card...it's what we sell.

they're talking about RAID 5 or 6 with one hot spare, but from what little I know, that sounds like insanity and begging for total array failure / data loss.

Izerous

I'm far from an expert but to me this kinda screams RAID 10 with a hot spare. Going to loose capacity but gain redundancy.

gingerbee

raid 10could work but to be honest you really want to follow lowfat and UNRaid. I have been putting off doing this for all my data hoarding but it needs to happen

Cptn Vortex

I'd do RAID6 with a hot spare, and maybe have a spare RAID controller nearby as well.

I'm personally not familiar enough with UnRAID to make any comments. I'd like to know more information regarding it's "transportation", i.e. if a motherboard or raid controller dies, how easy is it to move the array to a different server or new HBA? Since it's software based I hope it's simple enough.

gingerbee

ya, I watched Linus media group fall in love with unraid so I have done a ton of reading I am wanting to run it for my media server. cause I am a data whore

Latest posts

Twitter