What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Raid Questions

MarkOne

Banned
For keep it simple if I was you, I will put something like 2* 1.5 TB in your HTPC. And add 2 1.5 TB in your main PC. ( or may be you can use some of the disk you have already ) And use good sync to sync them . it’s the less expensive solutions. No need for raid. So if computers fail. You have access right away to all your data. And he can be useful to be able to see some movie or other stuff from your HTPC in your main PC too. You can back up the more important thing on an external HD.

If you want to go with a NAS. You better go with a WHS ( homeserver)

For your raid 5 question I’m gone try to keep it simple

Raid 5 was design for server. With a server like 2000. 2003. 2008, linux and other, you use a system to replicate the data from 1 to 2 or 3 or 4 servers. As much as you want. So if 1 server fails, due to a raid or anything else. The request is send to another server.

So that’s what I’m using , server replication. 1 server in the house and the other in the garage at 50’ of the house. So it protect also from fire. And in a sense from rubbery too. Since both have alarms systems, always someone at home, and you will never find my server in the garage. I also duplicate the files in different PC with the software Goodsync . So I do not make back up on DVD or other thing.

But in your case, I guess you not maniac like me. You have to decide first, what is the value of your data. They one you really don’t want to loose , you have to keep a back up offsite. You can use a small NAS. Make a back up once a week and leave it at your work or other place . Raid 1, 5 is not full bullet proof. You have to use another way to keep your important data safe.

slay3r

Very interesting MarkOne!
I like the sync idea between htpc and desktop computer. Thought, i need some more information please. Can it sync from my 2x1.5tb htpc to my multiple lower space disks? Do i have to use JBOD on desktop to make this effective? Is there a way to compress data so it take less space on the desktop? I will go read about "Good sync!

After reading all the comments and informations about different raid, i am now dropping raid5.
There is RAID10 that is very similar to your sync idea, however will take more hdd room in the htpc.
Hence, i find your solution really adequate for my use. Thanks you very much!

Once we build our garage i will surely hide a server in there! :rofl:

Edit: After thinking and reading about your "good sync" idea... I dont really need files available localy on the desktop so maybe i should do a htpc to desktop backup using the same program instead? What would be the difference in size ? Sync mean 1:1 size, what about backup 1:?

Last edited:

grinder

discussing the weak points of RAID 5, RAID 1, RAID 10 (et all) does nothing more than split hairs. the OP has gone this long with ZERO redundancy, and the RAID solutions he is inquiring about have one more level of redundancy than he already has (which is nothing).

Raid 5 will cost quite a bit. You would need 5 1TB drives to reach your storage requirement (3.3 TB) plus the raid5 controller if you wanted adequate performance.

Simplest solution would be to mirror some 1.5 TB drives right off your motherboard. Performance would be good, redundancy would be simple, and recovery would be even simpler. I would probably "partition" your data, so the important "media" is on the 1.5 TB mirror, and any over-flow that is of less importance (expendable) can go on your spare TB's or something. If they go they go.

NAS appliances that support RAID 5 are quite expensive, and the data rates are less than stellar FYI.

slay3r

You are right about the different RAID level but my brain has got various good informations :thumb:
Since i've only read about them (never did one), i like all the input i could get to make my decision.

Do you mean mirror using Raid1 via the motherboard ?
I think i will go the simplest way by using the sync method said by MarkOne.

I would like to know the main advantages/disadvantages by using this method beside the simplicity?
Anyone already experienced this method?

Last edited:

MarkOne

Banned
with goodsync you make job.. , you copy a directory to a directory. a folder to a folder, a disk to a disk.. disk to a directory....disk to a folder : it's you who choose, once setup you create it as a job..

ex:
job 1 favorites : folder favorite one pc 1 to folder favorite on pc 2
job 2 video : small HD ( with video ) to directory " video " on a large HD

you can create 3 job with the fee version...try it

GoodSync Overview: How It Works

MarkOne

Banned
options
raid 1 : 3 gb cost you 6 * 1 gb hd, you can use the controler on the motherboard , if the motherboard have a problem you have to find the same raid controler , old board ich10, new board ich10
raid 5 : 3 gb cost you 4 * 1 gb HD + an expensive controler ( or else it will be very slow to calcul the parity , if the card have a problem.. not only you need the same type, but you have also to configure it. very risky to lost everything
sync files : 3 gb cost 6 * 1 gb : can use any type of drive , sync slow down the system, have to be done when not in use ,
WHS : 3 Gb cost you 6*1 + a small drive for the os : you can recover it in any type of PC. not bound to the motherboad , very easy to manage the sharing , you can read the disk in any PC in case of problem
NAS : work like the WHS

slay3r

Very nice little program!
I didnt read anything on the website about waking up a sleeping machine to receive the sync file.
I want to sync over night when my desktop computer sleep. How does it affect performance while synchin? Enought to stop my hd tv tuner?

RAID was prolly too much advanced for my $$$/needs...

I like that i dont need the "physical drive" backup in the same case of the htpc. So i can start with 2x1.5tb and upgrade as i wish. Thats more media storage that i would need localy. Very nice!

Last edited:

MarkOne

Banned
what I like about this software...is if I go some place with my laptop and do work with it. when I came back I sync. I have the same favorites, emails in all my pc. ,

but I love my WHS too. So easy that my wife can create folders and share them, give permissions. You create a folder and it drop you the list of the users. You just click full rights, read or deny …..another thing It create a restore image of the pc plug to it. And after backup it every night . So if you have a HD failure in a pc. You change it. Put the cd that came with WHS… he will reinstall your OS without do anything. After you just select restore. And your files you have created after the image will be restore too. You can even access it from anywhere in the world

slay3r

The WHS seem a good idea also, but as of now i dont have a spare computer to use as dedicated server. Does it have to be a good computer or an old prescott could do as well? Have you seen the power pack 3 with media center support? What do you think about installing WHS on my htpc? Would it be a good idea ? Is it power hungry?

On a side note, can my 400w seasonic support more than 4 sata green drive (which is default) by adding molex to sata connector?

Latest posts