What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Raijintek Morpheus II - when you are too poor to buy a new GPU

moocow

Since I can't beat the bots in grabbing a new AMD GPU, I traded my GTX 960 2GB for a R9-290X 4GB. The only problem is that it's a blower style fan that without MSI Afterburner, it would overheat after a few minutes of gaming. When it's using MSI Afterburner, the blower would sound like a running gas turbine engine. Since I'm more or less sitting out this year's hardware cycle, I decided to pay about $120 for a Raijintek Morpheus II cooler.

Box image

_MG_1457.jpg

Contents (don't remember ordering the black cooler), also come with thin and standard 120mm fan brackets
_MG_1460.jpg

Post assembly with 2 x 120mm standard thickness fans
_MG_1461.jpg
_MG_1462.jpg

It took up 4 slots in my ATX case
_MG_1463.jpg

I don't know how to benchmark and too lazy to learn. With the fans connected to the motherboard, I'm using the motherboard's temp reading to run the PWM fans (Arctic 120mm PWM flow with build in splitter). It idles around 38C to 40C and hit 72C at 775RPM while gaming with Civ5. With the OEM blower and no MSI burner, it would idle at 70C. I have a PWM to mini 4 pin adapter coming so I can plug the fans to the GPU instead of the motherboard and hope that would give me better control over the fan speeds. Then I'll flip the BIOS switch to performance mode.

Is it a good investment? That depends. If you only have access to a blower card, don't want an AIO, and have an ATX or mATX case, sure. I think it would be better to buy an AIB card that isn't a blower style to start with. Going with an NZXT AIO adapter could be twice the cost when factoring in a compatible cooler.

sswilson

Staff member
Reminds me of the good old days when almost every consumer class Sapphire ATI card had absolutely crap VRMs for V1 of their cards and the only real solution was an after-market cooler.... strangely enough, the main company producing those coolers at the time was Arctic Cooling. :) (I've still got a two fan AC cooler model in my tickle trunk... :) ).

moocow

Just to be clear, it actually doesn't come with any fans, only fan brackets. I got a 5 pack of the 120mm Arctic Cooling PWM fans on Amazon for like $60 CAD + tax which is cheaper than buying from ME or CC locally. Put 3 of them in my sister's new Hackintosh and got 2 left over.

FreeKnight

I have one of these that I used on a 2080Ti to get it to fit into an NCase M1. It's a decent cooler, and performance was better than the zotac stock cooler. but it obviously can depend on the fans you attach to or near it.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
im suprised you found one of these for under $300 + shipping i tried getting one for my titans but $169 uk pounds is a bit much for a card i paid $300 Cad for lol

moocow

im suprised you found one of these for under $300 + shipping i tried getting one for my titans but $169 uk pounds is a bit much for a card i paid $300 Cad for lol

$300 + shipping? That's double what I paid with tax on Eggie Canada and it's direct from the mfg and not 3rd party reseller. Since there are so many Titans, not sure which of the following would fit yours. None of them specified as fitting a Titan so unless the board layout is exactly the same as the regular Nvidia reference board, probably not going to fit.

Morpheus II$100 on Newegg Canada, out of stock
AMD®​
R9 390x, R9 Fury, Hawaii chip (R9 290/290x),
Curacao chip (HD 7850, 7870 xt; R9 270/270x)​
nVIDIA® GTX Series​
1080Ti, 1080, 970, 980, 980Ti, 780Ti, 780, 770, 760, 650, 650Ti, 660, 660Ti, 680​

Morpheus Core IINot available on Newegg, same specs as Morpheus II
AMD®​
R9 390x, R9 Fury, Hawaii chip (R9 290/290x),
Curacao chip (HD 7850, 7870 xt; R9 270/270x)​
nVIDIA® GTX Series​
1080Ti, 1080, 970, 980, 980Ti, 780Ti, 780, 770, 760, 650, 650Ti, 660, 660Ti, 680​

Morpheus Vega$100 on Newegg Canada
AMD®​
Radeon RX VEGA 64, Radeon RX VEGA 56​

Morpheus 8057Can't find it on Newegg or Amazon Canada
AMD®​
RADEON RX 5700 / XT
RADEON RX 5600 / XT​
nVIDIA®​
GeForce RTX 2080 / 2080ti / SUPER
GeForce RTX 2070 / Super
GeForce RTX 2060 / Super​

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Mine are basically 780Ti with 6GB of VRAM and I'll have to check eggie see if they have anymore. Ty for info

Soultribunal

Staff member
Reminds me of the good old days when almost every consumer class Sapphire ATI card had absolutely crap VRMs for V1 of their cards and the only real solution was an after-market cooler.... strangely enough, the main company producing those coolers at the time was Arctic Cooling. :) (I've still got a two fan AC cooler model in my tickle trunk... :) ).

I had that problem too but with my HIS Cards. I can't remember which Generation but the cooler was just poorly designed and the AC 3rd part cooler was so much better.

-ST

FtGF

I like those coolers very nice. You can get an adapter and plug the fans right into the GPU for proper control.

moocow

I like those coolers very nice. You can get an adapter and plug the fans right into the GPU for proper control.

Yep, already did. The problem is that I got the nicer version with sleeved cables but it end up too stiff in the mini 4 pin connector end and very difficult to tug under the fans. It does look nicer but now the fan cables are all over the place. Need to figure out how to cleanly tug them in.

Latest posts

Twitter