What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Ram issue

hobo_crew

Hey,
you guys helped me in the past and hoping you can help me now.
i bought some new ram as an upgrade. i wanted to have 16gb of Ram.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226615
i bought the equivalent of these at CC as an open box deal.
now my motherboard says it should handle this fine.

right now i have 8gb of Mushkin 2133 and it's worked fine forever.

but when i put in the sticks it wouldn't boot. i messed around with the timings in bios. i tried XMP and setting manually at what the ram says and the voltage it says but couldn't get anywhere.

finally i put my old memory back in and the system booted up fine.

i would really like to avoid memtest as i have to sit in my place with absolutely watch or listen to while it runs.

also the guy that was showing me the ram at CC said something that i wasn't sure about.
he said i could use both this new set of ram and my old set at the same time. even though they are different sizes and voltages and timings. can some one comment on this.

Vultz

Sounds like the ram is either not supported by your motherboard or the ram is faulty. I would do what ern88 suggested and make sure the ram is supported by your motherboard. If the ram is supported and you adjusted the voltage settings and the timings already then the ram has to be faulty.

Did you try putting in the new ram by itself to see if it booted without mixing in your old ram?

hobo_crew

hey thanks for the responses.
i checked gigabyte's approved memory list and their lists sucks.

the list doesn't show anything over 4gb even though on the specification for the board it says can support 32gb of ram. with only four ram slots you would think that means it could support over 4gb.
"
  1. 4 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 32 GB of system memory
    * Due to Windows 32-bit operating system limitation, when more than 4 GB of physical memory is installed, the actual memory size displayed will be less than 4 GB.
  2. Dual channel memory architecture
  3. Support for DDR3 2133/1866/1600/1333/1066 MHz memory modules
  4. Support for non-ECC memory modules
  5. Support for Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) memory modules
yes at first i tried to mix the two sets of ram. when that didn't post. i took out the original set and just tried with the new set.

i guess i just have to memtest them

jalmir

that 4GB is about 32bit OS (unless modified, like the PAE patch for Win 7, a 32bit OS can't "see" more than a total of 4GB or RAM), not about the max supported DIMM, with 4 slots and a max of 32GB that means it should support 8GB DIMM.

EDIT :

ok so the documentation it seems your motherboard doesn't officially support 8GB DIMM ... that is a contradiction from the specs! not sure what to think of that! I would try to contact Gigabyte to get clarification.

http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_ga-z68x-ud7-b3.pdf

Last edited:

Latest posts