What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Ram question

derpyduck

Hey, so I have a ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) pairing with the Ryzen 5 5600x.. I was wondering if I can just slap any AMD ready ram or do I have to follow the VGA listing from ASUS. Been trying to find out information as I kept getting mixed answers. Some people told me that I can just slap anything and it'll boot while others tell me to check the VGA listing or check the ram manufacture listing and see if it's compatible with the new zen3 or motherboard.

Which is correct??

moocow

AMD Ready is just a marketing gimmick. Unless you are dealing with an older AM3 platform where there are AMD only DDR3 because of a technical "feature" of Intel platform. If you don't want to worry about it, buy according the the vendor approved memory list found under the product's support page. I got memory outside of the approve list and they work fine but I wouldn't say all DDR4 work equally. I personally like to stick with Crucial, Corsair, and may be Kingston. Still a bit shame on GSkill, TEAM, GeIL, and ADATA.

EmiliaHadson

Can anyone tell you how much RAM is needed for a stable game in Call of duty warzone at high settings, taking into account the amd rx580 video card?:coffee:

Izerous

Folding Team
8GB makes it tight for some titles, 16GB is often more than enough for the vast majority of game titles.

Personally 16GB is pretty much my minimum but work related software can be a pig. Ie my macbook right now is using 26GB+ as I type this.

moocow

Has to be 16GB these days. 8GB is barely enough for living room PC these days. 32GB for cases where you need to run VM that's also RAM hungry. For example, I compile Android X86 once in awhile and I need 16GB dedicated to the VM. At the same time I have Youtube, a few Firefox tabs open, and Civ 5 runs a bit slow on an AMD 1600AF 6C/12T machine.