What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Rampage Formula + 4 x 2GB Corsair Dominator PC8500 RAM

Frost

Hi guys,

I've searched far and wide for a proper answer to a problem that most owners of the ASUS Rampage Formula have been running into when trying to boot up with all four RAM DIMM slots occupied. In most cases like mine, the attempt is made to install four 2GB sticks in slots A1, A2, B1 and B2 and then boot up the unit but it will always fail to POST.

Initially, according to Corsair's asktheramguy.com forums, they tell you to up the DRAM voltage to 2.1V and up the NB voltage by 0.05V to somewhere between 1.35 to 1.45V. I've done this and it does not work. Checked all four sticks of RAM and even swapped them around the slots. System will POST perfectly using only 4GB of RAM but will consistantly fail to POST on anything more. Someone then suggested lowering the RAM speed to DDR2-667 or 800 (as opposed to the 1066 I used to run at) and I did but to no avail.

All four sticks are version 1.1 from Corsair so nothing out of whack there. I've updated my BIOS to 0902 (latest as of May 2009) and still nothing.

Still scratching my head here.

Any ideas?

Frost

Frost

Ran memtest86+ on single sticks with USB Native support disabled as per asktheramguy.com

No faults. Definitely not the RAM!

Cowboy

could be the board then. my buddy always complained about the same problem. he fixed it by chucking it out the window and buying a classified.

gingerbee

I have 1 and have never had a problem with it at all amazing board ( x48 chipset overclocks great ) has way more bios features then you will every need

Frost

Cowboy, I like the board. It POSTs just fine when only 4GB of either the old or new RAM installed in either two of the four available slots. Please don't say stuff like that, it does not help.

Gingerbee, I agree, the BIOS is ridiculously customizable and I love it but it will not tell me why it fails to POST aside from "DETRAM". Memtest says the RAM is fine in over 3 passes.

Frost

Cowboy

Cowboy, I like the board. It POSTs just fine when only 4GB of either the old or new RAM installed in either two of the four available slots. Please don't say stuff like that, it does not help.
Alright fine,

JD

Staff member
Have you bumped up your NB voltage even more?

My Maximus Formula was fine with 4 DIMMs (4GB total) of DDR2-800 while running the Rampage BIOS, which I ran at 850MHz.

Also compare the voltages you set to the ones displayed on the Hardware Monitor page in the BIOS. You'll see they never match, so increase the settings until you get the proper number for real.

Frost

I guess I could go higher on the NB voltage but I'm worried about going too too high. When I crank up the NB voltage and check on Hardware Monitor, it does go up to whatever I set it to so I'm not sure what you mean by my setting versus actual. I'll bump it by 0.05V again and see what happens.

Frost

JD

Staff member
I guess I could go higher on the NB voltage but I'm worried about going too too high. When I crank up the NB voltage and check on Hardware Monitor, it does go up to whatever I set it to so I'm not sure what you mean by my setting versus actual. I'll bump it by 0.05V again and see what happens.

Frost
Well on my Maximus it's way off so that's why I mentioned it.

Latest posts

Twitter