What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Rampage II Extreme and GTX 295 CMOS ERR

netforce

Hello,
I'm building a new computer this week, and i'm having problems with my setup.
Here are the components used:
Case: CM Cosmos S
PSU: Ultra X3 1600W
UPS: APC XS 1300va
MOBO: ASUS Rampage II Extreme
CPU: Intel Core i7 920
Ram: OCZ DDR3 3x2gb Gold Triple Channel 1600MHz 8-8-8-21
VGA: EVGA GeForce GTX 295 Plus
HDD: Seagate 7200.11 1.5tb
LCD: Dell 2709w
KB: Logitech G15
Mouse: none atm... waiting on a bluetooth dongle :|

Everything is at stock settings.

After I assembled everything, it booted up just fine. I popped in a Vista x64 dvd, and started the setup.
The setup took a long time to load, so i assumed that the vista setup was looking for devices that were not there. I decided to reboot the system and disable some devices that were not used, but once i turned the pc off... it would not post. On the LCD Poster i can see CMOS ERR.
I swapped out the GTX 295 with an old radeon x800xt i had. The system does boot to bios now. I updated the bios to the lates version, and put the gtx 295 back in. Still get the same CMOS ERR, and nothing on the screen.
Is there any way around this? Could it be mobo+vga compatibility?
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks!

UPDATE: After installing backup video card, i was able to install vista. When i put in my gtx 295, i still don't get anything showing on the screen, but the computer boots into vista, as i can hear the login chime... i'm assuming this is a video issue... what do i do??? :biggrin:

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
Do you know anybody close by who can drop that vid card into their system? That'd be the next step in my books.

netforce

I've tried all different outputs... called evga, and they're setting me up with an RMA.. bummer
I'm still doing CPR on this thing! I will not let it go! :D

Barron58P

Same problem here. On a ASUS maximus. When i got it I installed the card and it posted. Then when I reboot I have no video from either port or the HDMI. If I take the card out for a few hours I can then re install it and it will work. I tried the card in a 680 and 780 mother board and the problem exists in both. I have RMA ed to the Egg. My card was the Asus version and I did flash the bois to current.

kzEr

I'd definitely put it up for RMA...
EVGA is pretty good on their turn around for RMAs to Canada, it'll take a few days to get down there though unfortunately (If you ever want to get it done quicker, get a BFG card..they have a RMA depot in QC)

/offtopic
Now I'm sorta afraid to buy one of these things for the new PC...hopefully its a few isolated incidents :(

sswilson

Staff member
By no means do I want to start a rumour, but doesn't this sound a bit like the issues they had with certain PSUs not playing nice with an earlier Nvidia series (was it the early 8800GTs?) ?

Latest posts