What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Random blackscreen crashes to bios

yoyoguy

Hello,

For a while now my computer has randomly crashed to a black screen, and the first thing I see is the bios load up and my computer boot. I don't hear anything or see anything, just random crash to black and reboot. I recently upgraded my graphics card and ram, but I have had this problem before I did so.

Specs:
Gigabyte G1 GTX 1070
Gigabyte 990-fxa-ud3 (version 1)
AMD FX 8150
16gb Gskill ripjaws X 1866 (2x8gb)
samsung 120gb ssd for windows and drivers
WD black 2tb for games

I have noticed that since I upgraded my computer, the seemingly random blackscreens now happen only when playing blizzard games like wow/overwatch, whereas before I got them playing any game(whether or not this is entirely the case, or the fact I spend a majority of my time playing blizzard games I am not totally 100%). I can play the games for hours and be fine, or I can have multiple crashes within 30 minutes.

I have a feeling that the issue is with my boot drive, as the only thing I can figure is that since I crash to complete black without a windows blue screen, my OS drive must be failing in some way. I have no way to back this up with knowledge or anything, but that is my assumption for now.

KaptCrunch

what is the PSU may need to upgrade also can be a short, remove motherboard from case and test

check for faulty reset switch

yoyoguy

The psu is a 1050 watt from a company that I wasn't super firmiliar with. Not one of the more known, so that could be a problem. The crashing had only really become a problem after I upgraded to win10, when I had win7 previously there had been no crashing issue, and I had not touched the internals prior to the problem so I think it isn't a short somewhere.

Regardless of whether the psu is the source or not, I should probably change it for one from a reliable company anyways.

yoyoguy

So I pulled the motherboard out and have it on the box to prevent case shorts, the only drive connected right now is my ssd for windows, updated all drivers, new power supply, and it still crashes.

I can do certain stress tests fine, furmark runs well, disk checks say ssd is good, but prime 95 crashes my rig within a minute. I'm not sure if its the motherboard or cpu at this point, and I was wondering if there was a way to test that?

Latest posts

Twitter