What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Random BSoDs, cannot nail down reason.

Fenrise

Hey there Canucks, this problem has sort of morphed out of other problems... but here is where I stand now.

I recently bought a custom pre-built PC from NCIX and was extremly satisfied with the system.

I decided I wanted to do a bit of an OC to get a little more kick out of the system.

My CPU is a Phenom II x3 720 BE, stock set at 14x, 1.325V which I OC'ed to 17x with 1.440V. Which was the smallest voltage I could give it to even run P95 for over an hour.

Last night I was able to run P95 for over 10hrs and figured I had a winner and started playing some games, which went succesfully for the next few days. One night when I went to turn off the PC and I got a 0xA stop error, I loaded up the minidmp and noticed the following:

Probably caused by : ntoskrnl.exe (nt+5dad7)

I did some googling and found out that it may be bad memory. I went and grabbed a copy of memtest86+ and let it run for the day. It turned up negative after 5 runs. Relived I closed it down and decided to give the voltage a little bump (1.426V to 1.440v). I fired up P95 and let it run. It throught 3 hrs before crapping out, giving me this in the dump file...

Probably caused by : bcmw1564.sys (bcmw1564+57032)

Which I googled, and nothing came up. Now I'm confused, I have no idea where to go from here. I'm going to drop everything back to stock and let P95 run, which should simply spit out everything is ok, hopefully, or I might have bigger problems.

Here are the sys specs:
CPU: AMD Phenom II x3 720 BE
GPU: ASUS EAH4870 DK 1gig
RAM: GSkill 4gig DDR3-1333MHz 9-9-9-24
HD: Western Digital Caviar SE16 640GB
Mobo: Gigabyte MA790XT-UD4P AMD790X
PSU: Corsair TX750W

Help? I'm pretty much willing to try anything at this point. Let me know what to do!

I should note, ambient temps are around 27C and p95 load temps are around 34C max.

One more thing, all the BSoD I've gotten have been 0xA I believe, I haven't caught them all, but all the ones I have, have been that. They also where IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL errors, which could be a multitude of things.

Just ran driver verifier, and it threw a STOP error of 0xD1, a driver error on usbechi.sys

Still don't know where to go, changed RAM timings from Auto to Manual and left them where they were. Also, running chkdsk right now.

Perineum

Your RAM is fine, so you may have just had an unstable overclock. It could also be that your OS is pooched now too.

Perineum

drop your clocks to normal, test your system.

IE: sfc and chkdsk

If it passes you're okay. It probably will.

This is what I do to overclock, and I hope that people like 3oh6 aren't watching.

Read online what clocks people are getting and at what voltage. The find out the maximal SAFE voltage for your processor.

Mine is supposed to be 1.5 to 1.55, depending on who you ask. I would set the voltage to 1.5v and then keep clocking it up until it fails. Drop down a step until it's stable again, then drop voltage until it fails. Bump the voltage back up one notch and then do a 24hr Orthos run. If it's stable then I consider that an "ok" clock.

There is much more to it that you could do, but that's the cheap and dirty way of doing it, in my experience.

Anyone else have comments on my barbarianistic ways? :thumb:

ebdoradz

maybe its is ram too...

i had trouble with my ram and im running a similar setup...

had to give a bit more volt to the ram to get those sucker run properly

Fenrise

The RAM is rated for 1.5 to 1.6V, when I try to kick the voltage up (MIT setting DDR3 Voltage) it goes from "Normal" to +0.05, which gives me a voltage of 1.65V. Should I really need to knock the voltage up above 1.6V to make it run properly?

Meta|Gear

I had the same problem as you but with a UD3P, i could not get 3.6 stable or even 3.2 even at 1.475v.

KaptCrunch

Gigabyte MA790XT-UD4P AMD790X call for pc1600 ram under QVL D/L supports GSkill P/N F3-10666CL8D-4GBHK

other is chipset drivers 2009/08/14 version 8.631

stoanee

Folding Team
The RAM is rated for 1.5 to 1.6V, when I try to kick the voltage up (MIT setting DDR3 Voltage) it goes from "Normal" to +0.05, which gives me a voltage of 1.65V. Should I really need to knock the voltage up above 1.6V to make it run properly?
Yes you may. I usually go 10-15% above rated specs if I have to. So for 1.6v+.24(15%)=1.84v is the max I would try. Typically for ram a small voltage bump is all that is needed.

Latest posts