What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

random crashes

misterd

I have almost the same motherboard (Premium instead of E) and I was using the same ram, I did have a stick fail and had to RMA with Crucial. I suggest running Memtest for at least 5+ in my opinion. It should pass maybe 10 runs before I say it's happy. Let it go overnight for a sure thing. AFAIK that ram wanted some voltage too.. like 2.0 volts according to the Crucial webpage. (Had to look - i forgot)

Varroa

I just had a similar problem on a brand new NF4 Ultra board. After working with OCZ to find the problem it turned out to be a bios setting. I had the "software" memory hole enabled in the bios which was causing all the problems. I enabled it when I enabled the "hardware" memory hole since the hardware one was required. Once I disabled the software memory hole all my random BSOD and other crashes went away.

tzetsin

well, memtest ran rock solid for 40 minutes, 0 errors. As for the video drivers, I updated last night, after the troubles started, and nothing changed.

so the memory's probably alright. any other suggestions?

I just want to make sure, you DID go to safemode and uninstall the vid driver with DRIVERSWEEPER right? This is the key, reinstalling/updating vid drivers overtop of old ones, or even using the uninstaller is what causes the driver crashes in the first place.

Also,

i had a p5k with crucial ballistix ram that worked great for a long time, then had the random crashes even passed overnite memtest ( on the attempts that didnt crash before i got back to it ) those crucial ramsticks are notoriously bad for this. This is why you can buy 2 gig kits for 30 bucks.

enaberif

well, memtest ran rock solid for 40 minutes, 0 errors. As for the video drivers, I updated last night, after the troubles started, and nothing changed.

so the memory's probably alright. any other suggestions?

40 minutes isn't long enough.

Memtest needs to hit the test #5 or #6 to find any real errors. Let memtest run for a couple of hours.. or let it run over night when you go to bed.

I've had memtest pass in in an hour but after 3 hours it failed.

tom.mullie

I managed to track down some new RAM to test with. Its definitely looking like it was the old RAM's fault. thanks for all the help guys.