What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Random restarts and won't boot

SGardiner

Hi All

My Son is experiencing issues with his desktop gaming rig. We built it about six years ago and operation has been flawless until recently.

Periodically the machine will randomly re-boot and not recognize the hard drive. Instead, it will try to boot from the optical drive.

When going to the BIOS you can see the Optical Drive, but not the HD.

If you cycle the power on/off it will recognize the hard drive an reboot.

Suggestions on where to start would be appreciated.

Thanks

JD

Staff member
Simplest starting point would be to swap the SATA cable and power connector to another one, ideally on a different line entirely from the PSU if available.

And when you say "randomly reboot", do you mean you see Windows say "Restarting" or do you mean it just turns itself on and back on?

If you happen to have an extra PSU or another PC you could borrow one from, I'd suggest swapping the PSU to see if it solves it.

gingerbee

if none of the above works then it's time to swap out the hard drive and see if the new one shows up after that your on to board swapping

Bond007

To start with the basics, has the computer been cleaned/dusted inside, and are the temperatures fine on the cpu/gpu?

Otherwise, I agree with others. Try replacing the small button type battery on the motherboard, and make sure the boot priorities are set appropriately. If that does work, try the power/sata cable swap. Run a scan with malware bytes to check if it might have a bug.

If that doesn’t work I would suspect something dying...likely the hdd, power supply, or motherboard.

hfxmike

Yeah that 3v 2032 battery can cause problems beyond forgetting the time and date - although you should check if that's an issue also.

You can get 3 of these nickel sized batteries for a couple bucks.

I only learned recently that the battery name 2032 is diameter (20) and thickness (3.2mm)

EDIT - It could always be something else, but this is a good place to start - quick, cheap, easy. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Twitter