What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Random "slowdown"

Kilauea

I have a laptop and lately, it has been sort of freezing for 15 seconds to 1 minute and then it will work fine. When that happens, I am doing nothing intensive, Firefox and Chrome with various messaging apps.

It is an i7 4700HQ with 8gb ram. There is a m2 SSD and and HDD in the laptop.

I am wondering if just reformating would solve the problem, but first I want to ask for info here.

MARSTG

If you keep the Task Manager open, what do you see in the cpu graph after? Any revving up of the fan/s? Try disabling hardware acceleration if enabled, in both browsers. Try updating the intel graphics driver.

Bond007

What version of windows? When I was on win 7 I had a similar issue and it was related to either either link state power management needing to be turned off, or power savings to performance...I can't recall which fixed the issue.

frontier204

I have a laptop and lately, it has been sort of freezing for 15 seconds to 1 minute and then it will work fine.
An issue like that would probably show up in the Event Log if it doesn't show up as heavy CPU load in task manager. The issue I usually had like that was some of Windows 10's "Cortana" stuff crashing (and it becomes responsive again after Windows restarts the service).

Valkyrie

Chilliwack...Time Is Just A Rubber Band....
I have a laptop and lately, it has been sort of freezing for 15 seconds to 1 minute and then it will work fine. When that happens, I am doing nothing intensive, Firefox and Chrome with various messaging apps.

It is an i7 4700HQ with 8gb ram. There is a m2 SSD and and HDD in the laptop.

I am wondering if just reformating would solve the problem, but first I want to ask for info here.

This is one of the things that really turned me off about Win10. You sit down to use your machine and it's busy and basically ignores you for some time. That is unacceptable in an OS as far as I'm concerned.

JD

Staff member
Does it have a GPU as well? If so, it seems to be pretty common when it switches from integrated to dedicated and back.

I notice it on my Alienware 13 R3 (7700HQ, GTX1060) occasionally. It seems a bit better now with all the latest drivers installed. Mine are only maybe 1-2 seconds though, not 15-60s.

Might be worth reinstalling Windows. If you're on Win10, might be worth joining Insider Preview as well since supposedly the newer builds fix the problem but I haven't bothered with that yet.

Error 403 Daily Limit Exceeded. The quota will be reset at midnight Pacific Time (PT). You may monitor your quota usage and adjust limits in the API Console: https://console.developers.google.com/apis/api/youtube.googleapis.com/quotas?project=345236864347 : dailyLimitExceeded

Twitter