What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Rants etc.....

GregH

Two words: THE WEATHER!!! This is the winter that will not die! Got up to pee at 3AM this morning and looked out the window to see snow / slush covering everything. Temps are dropping tonight too, we just can't win!

You want to rant about weather?
It's been in the -20s all week here in AB, and more snow forecast the next few days.

This time last year I was in the yard practicing my golf

Lysrin

damned movers. my price went from $2800 to $4800 because we had a lot more than they were expecting. <_<

Guess someone on their estimating staff needs to go back for a bit more training! That's a big difference. Sorry Mr. Friendly, that sucks.

CTA

Wicked15

I typically work at the Company's Head office which is a 45 min travel for me each way every day. I recently was able to talk my way into working from our WHSE every Mon, Wed, and Friday(15 mins drive each way) and only going to the office Tues, Thurs. At home I use a K70 with Cherry MX Reds and a G502 Spectrum. At work I use a G413 with Romer G switches and a G502 Proteus Core . I didn't want to lug my work KB and mouse around with me so I asked IT to throw a keyboard and mouse on my desk to use for the 2 days.. Came into work and there's an old Dell Membrane keyboard with literally 1/2 the letters worn off it and a Dell mouse that doesn't work lol. I haven't used a membrane keyboard for 3 years and I can confidently say that I'll be looking at purchasing a 3rd mech board for the office. I'm not sure if it's just old and dirty keys or I've forgotten just how exhausting it is to use and membrane keyboard but regardless I've hated every second of using it.

I'll never replace my 413 as out of Membrane, Browns, Reds, Blues, and Romer G's - they are by far my top choice. I may bring my K70 to the office(the wife doesn't like the noise late at nights) and I may go for something different than the G's for home.. Maybe a Steelseries with QX1's or I might try and Razr keyboard.. I know they've been pegged as a one of the flashy gimmicky gaming keyboards in the past but I think there's one at staples that I like the sound and feel of that I might get. I like trying new Keyboards but it gets expensive lol.

Dwayne

damned movers. my price went from $2800 to $4800 because we had a lot more than they were expecting. <_<

Hindsight is easy, but always try and get them in for a quote so they can see the items. Then get it in writing, and ask for a statement that keeps them to no more than 10% variance. Nothing worse than dishonest movers and crappy estimates over the internet. They always lowball, and then jack the price when you booked them and they show up, because you have no choice.

We moved one daughter and family from Ontario to BC a few years ago. The Russian mafia must have owned the company at this end. The guys had really thick accents, and nothing came off of the truck until they had cash in hand. And it had to be cash, no check or credit cards accepted! Moving sucks.

sswilson

Staff member
I've never had to move myself (lots of moves, but all on the government's dime) but have heard enough horror stories to convince myself that I'd stick with one of the major players no matter how much more expensive the initial quote is.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
well, it wasn't them doing a bait & switch. we ended up having a lot more than they were led to believe. they brought a 25ft truck expecting to load my stuff and then a few bits from 3 others. our load took the entire truck, as such, price went up as he wasn't getting paid for the 3 other jobs that were expected to be on board. shyte happens. it's life. they ended up giving me a $200 break for being a 'gentleman' about the whole situation. job was done by an old guy in his 70's who's been doing this since the 60's. all's good. :)