What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Rants etc.....

gingerbee

our cell phones have been on unlimited pretty much everything for a couple of years now so we can always get online for the life stuff we need it's everything else that's the problem. damn near everything is online these days lol

Bartacus

Rant mode on! Target: Microsoft!

So I'm a backup / recovery / enterprise SAN guy, but ATM I mainly do backups (until I get intense storage training). Recently, I saw some weird crap on some Windows 2016 servers, failing backups with weird messages related to XBOX Live (WTF?!?!). Now to re-iterate, this is Windows 2016 SERVER, not Windows 10 on your home PC. This is an ENTERPRISE OS (supposedly). So I had a nice little chat with our main directory services guy (who's an Active Directory expert), and he gave me the low down. Apparently Microsoft, cheap asshats that they are, are now COMBINING services, like Windows Update. So Windows Server 2016 and home versions of Windows will now look a LOT alike. Including being FORCED to install Xbox Live garbage, on a f**king SQL or Oracle server running Windows. JUST because MS didn't want to maintain two separate update streams for the corporate OS versus the home one. What a crock of sh!t. Apparently Windows Server 2019 will be even WORSE. Linux FTW!!!

Shadowmeph

So yesterday my smartwatch come in from amazon it is a cheap one but it had decent reviews and since I have never owned a smartwatch before I thought that Iwould get one. the phone arrives I check it out but couldnt ( and still cant) set the time so I am thinking ok so it probably needs to be synced with my phone it that probably will set the time I download the ap which is in for this watch dafit it installs takes for ever to find the watch connects crashes and as been crashing since yesterday . ok I get it the ap is buggy for my old Samsung galaxy core cell but I really dont need the cell I dont bring it with me on my runs I have the feeling of carrying a cell phone . at least let me set the god dam time on the watch and I will be fine I can live with out the ap and beside it drains my phone when connected to the watch i have a brand new battery in my phone and as soon as I connected the watch my battery drain from 100% to 75 % in less then one hour . I run at least an hour . now I am thinking I have to send this watch back not happy at all . I guess I will stay old school run with a stopwatch in hand when I get in the door pull t he cuff onto my arm to take my BP and HR

Lysrin

Reformatted main system the other day. Go to install Dropbox. And it tells me it can only be used on 3 systems unless I upgrade. 😳
I commented on this in another thread! Had the same realization when I bought a laptop and went to add it. I realize it's free, but I felt that was a low blow just the same. Restricting the space for free I get, but restricting the devices seems bizarre. I don't think the other free cloud storage options do that, at least I haven't come across it. They are likely trying to get people to upgrade, I get that, but for me it just caused me to reduce my Dropbox use. There are too many other free options available to fuss with tracking devices.

Inik

I commented on this in another thread! Had the same realization when I bought a laptop and went to add it. I realize it's free, but I felt that was a low blow just the same. Restricting the space for free I get, but restricting the devices seems bizarre. I don't think the other free cloud storage options do that, at least I haven't come across it. They are likely trying to get people to upgrade, I get that, but for me it just caused me to reduce my Dropbox use. There are too many other free options available to fuss with tracking devices.
Got surprised by that recently. Dropbox is now uninstalled on all my rigs!

JD

Staff member
I think Dropbox really only caters to the "enterprise" market now, feels like their personal/free accounts are basically worthless. I know they used to try a pretty hard sell at my work because they saw tons of traffic from it of people using their personal accounts, likely for transferring work-related files.

It's kind of scary the level of tracking these companies do though, recently cancelled a piece of software and they asked us why they still see 40,000 uses a month 🙄

lowfat

Staff member
I guess it doesn't count 3rd party sync apps as uses. I'm using it on my desktop, Surface and 2 phones w/o issue so far. Both both phones use DropSync to just sync folders directly to the phone instead of using the actual Dropbox app.

sswilson

Staff member
'Tis that time of year again.......

As one of the (rapidly shrinking) group of folks who still subscribe to Cable TV my year long credits expire next month and Bell would be charging me an arm and a leg for normal pricing if I didn't call Retention to get some relief.....

Thankfully, they're used to it and tier 1 support transfers calls directly over to Retention when asked. :) (In case anybody is wondering.... works out to something like $80 / month off of the listed rate for me so it's a significant savings).

Latest posts

Twitter