What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Rants etc.....

Shadowmeph

After Sept 2021, it will be law in Canada that either the headlights turn on automatically @ night, or dash lights are only on when the headlights are turned on.
which is why I like manually turning things on or off that way you know if they are or not I have seen a few vehicles that have the auto thing and when they leave and pull out onto the street it takers a while for the sensor to turn on the lights his is dangerous on foggy nights or rainy night on busy streets

SugarJ

Staff member
We've had 4 vehicles with the sensor and they've all worked flawlessly. So much so that I forget to turn the lights on when I use a company vehicle that doesn't have it.

Izerous

The only time I have noticed any kind of delay with the auto system is in the middle of the day. Driving down a road with larger overpass/tunnels sometimee enter underneath and there is a small delay before it kicks in but talking maybe 1-2 seconds. If not for the delay ever dark shadow you drive under would make it flash back and forth I'd imagine so kind of the expected behaviour.

What I do notice though is everytime I service the truck they flick it to off and not back to auto when they are done. With people who already don't know any better would just be driving with whoever they left it.

LegendMask

Its becoming a trend lately where people drive with their lights off, and with snow and dirt covering their rear bumper light reflectors, it can get dangerous pretty quick.

We have a Mazda and their light sensors are stupid, when I enter a tunnel it doesnt turn on until after about 5 seconds (havent actually timed it) which is a long time if you enter a really dark tunnel going +80km/h. Now we got a 2019 and was expecting it has been fixed on newer models but naaah still the same

Lpfan4ever

A lot of people are oblivious to why they have no light in front of them, let alone behind them. I make a habit out of flashing my brights at them but usually that accomplishes nothing.

Last edited:

LegendMask

A lot of people are oblivious to why they have no light in front of them, let alone behind then. I make a habit out of flashing my brights at them but usually that accomplishes nothing.
Dont get me to start talking about drivers who are driving with their high beam on all the time :cool:

lowfat

Staff member
A few years ago I was doing some networking work @ a Shell plant in the bush. It was pitch black outside. Every time I went off the main site I'd need my site contact to be with me. I had to go to a tower about 1km away. I followed the site contact, he drove the entire way w/o his lights on.🤦‍♂️

Sagath

Staff member
There is no reason, NO reason, why auto companies shouldnt be regulated to have lights on all the time by default. It is absolutely silly that this isnt law.

Thats not to say there shouldnt be an option to turn them off, but even then, it should only be an option if you're in park/ebrake engaged.

Lpfan4ever

Dont get me to start talking about drivers who are driving with their high beam on all the time :cool:
Oh that's definitely an issue too. Add LED/HID bulbs in reflectors to that list.

What I am noticing is that manufacturers aren't aiming the housing at the factory. A new Focus I test drove had the opposite problem of my aunt's Escape. The Focus was pointed at the ground like 3 feet away and her lows were basically horizontal. Considering most people's auto knowledge ends at where the gas and washer fluid go, I can't expect them to aim their lights. With all that said, I do think people should know how to maintain their vehicles better.

lowfat

Staff member
There is no reason, NO reason, why auto companies shouldnt be regulated to have lights on all the time by default. It is absolutely silly that this isnt law.

Thats not to say there shouldnt be an option to turn them off, but even then, it should only be an option if you're in park/ebrake engaged.
In Canada daytime running lights have been a requirement since 1994 IIRC. Except for Ontario.

Oh that's definitely an issue too. Add LED/HID bulbs in reflectors to that list.

What I am noticing is that manufacturers aren't aiming the housing at the factory. A new Focus I test drove had the opposite problem of my aunt's Escape. The Focus was pointed at the ground like 3 feet away and her lows were basically horizontal. Considering most people's auto knowledge ends at where the gas and washer fluid go, I can't expect them to aim their lights. With all that said, I do think people should know how to maintain their vehicles better.
Don't get my started on HID / LED PNP bulbs......

I drive ~ 1000km a week and in the winter, about half of its in the dark. I see at least 10 GMC Sierras (a couple years old, one w/ the OEM bi-xenon HID) a night, and 95% of them are aimed WAY too high. I can't imagine how useless the high beams are, as they'll just light up the tips of the trees only.