What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Rants etc.....

KaptCrunch

Darn Nvidia Geforce drivers won't give Nvidia control panel unless got a internet connection on system.
Experience same thing can't login to up date drivers offline

FreeKnight

Iunno. I like smart TV's. Saves me from having to buy another device for Netflix, Prime Video, Disney+. I just don't like the stupid '3d mouse' LG incorporates in to their remotes. What was wrong w/ the arrow keys?
I've actually grown really used to it and if you ever use the browser mode on your OLED it's a huge perk. Like having a mouse for the tv. Trying to use the browser on my samsung tv is painful.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Iunno. I like smart TV's. Saves me from having to buy another device for Netflix, Prime Video, Disney+. I just don't like the stupid '3d mouse' LG incorporates in to their remotes. What was wrong w/ the arrow keys?

But pretty much all of us already have devices that perform all the functions of Smart TVs and then some, whilst being faster at it as well. Ex: the last smart TV i used to watch Netflix was horribly slow for browsing and searching, but my old 5350 APU HTPC is far far faster, supports everything the smart tv version of the app does, and has piles of extra features and abilities to boot.

Tbh when one of my TVs finally decides to die (i still own every flatscreen TV I've ever bought, the curse of being a researching consumer wanting long life products) , I'll be looking for a non-smart TV to replace it. I'd prefer to have OLED, 4K HDR, upscaling, picture in picture, etc far more than an unnecessary smart TV features.

And don't forget, those smart TVs are already rushed to market, filled with security holes that often go unpatched for long periods of at all. Why not stick to a tried and true box I already have?

Just my two cents ..

sswilson

Staff member
Yeah... chalk me up as another consumer who'd rather that my TV be dumb in order to let me choose what device I want to use for Smart features.

Did they ever fix the issue with desynced audio on Roku TVs? I could never get a straight answer if the issue was only while using Roku (I wouldn't) or if the fact Roku was baked in meant that the audio lag affected any input you tried to view on the TV.

Quite simply, from a security POV... there's a much better chance of a discrete smart TV device being patched than a TV where new models come out annually or possibly even semi-annually.

Izerous

Folding Team
My mom has a huge Sharp 80in smart TV. But it was from before Sharp started using Roku for smart features. Disney+ isn't an option since they will never bother to update it so they had to buy a streaming device anyways.

For reasons like that I'd still prefer a dumb TV and I can hookup what ever I want. And swap out a sub $100 device if needed on a nice TV instead of having to replace the whole TV or plug in a smarter device into a outdated smart TV.

lowfat

Staff member
Disney+ isn't available on all standalone media streamers either. My experience w/ Roku isn't great either. Very disappointed w/ the Roku Ultra I have.

Good luck getting a non Smart TV these days on anything besides extreme budget TVs.
I've actually grown really used to it and if you ever use the browser mode on your OLED it's a huge perk. Like having a mouse for the tv. Trying to use the browser on my samsung tv is painful.
Mine is my desktop display... Doubt i'll ever need to use the browser :p. Plus you'd be stuck using the onscreen keyboard as AFAICT it isn't possible to use your phone as the keyboard.

The Samsung smart TV I've had since late July gets frequent updates. Way more than my Nvidia Shield did (and they didn't make the TV a POS, like the updates for the Shield did :p). The new LG I bought had to do 3 updates the day I bought it. Although the Vizio my sister had that was barely 2 years old never got Disney+ near launch. So I guess its a crap shoot.

As for speed I guess that depends on the TV. I can swap between D+, Netflix, Prime, or my PC w/ zero latency. All three streaming apps are kept loaded in the background. For for my lower end Samsung, not so much....

Prickly007

I haven't updated our new Sony TV yet. From what I could tell, the update does not add anything of use; other than whatever minor improvements come with Android 9 Pie. But some reports indicate it also installs tracking software (Samba) and possibly Google Sponsored Content.

For now, the built in Plex client is on par with the Roku version, just different annoyances.

Shadowmeph

ugg tracking in snow into my truck after each foot patrol then having to use paper towels to soak up all the water in my cab last night I had allot of water in my cab and since it has been freezing and even the bottles of water in my cab freeze solid over night i had to come in ( after midnight after my shift) trapes back out side in the winds and soak up all the water in my cab so that today I dont have a ice rink in my truck today

Shadowmeph

out of know where my tablets touch stopped working I am sitting in my truck looking at it trying toi figure out whats going on and noticed that the dam screen cracked I have no clue how it happened maybe the cold or something now I have a tablet that doesnt work because of the dame screen I mean Inever dropped it of abused it and it is in a case so wha tthe hell and of course I can take it back it only had a 3 month warranty which surpises me I bopught it in july now it is pretty much a paper weight in which cant even turn off lol

Latest posts