What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Rants etc.....

sswilson

Staff member
I need several 1" and 1 1/8". The biggest bit I've got is 1/2" .

Finally had some luck with a hole saw, but even that was slow going and burning almost as much as it was cutting. It's just some weird arse heavy duty "plastic" of some kind... it's similar to the stuff they used to use for the tech station cases, but that stuff was great to use.

Once I got the first drill bit through I had a look to see if there was some kind of obvious layer in the center 'cause it was behaving almost as if there was a tough sub layer of some kind but nothing obvious.... I'm not even sure it's a full 1/4" thick but it's a PITA to get through. :)

Izerous

Folding Team
If you were trying to make a hole big enough to use a hole saw instead then a fostner bit seems to work better on plastic/wood type materials. Better than a spade or cheap hole saw. Another option would be to mark the hole with a hole saw and use a jog saw or similar to actually cut it out.

KaptCrunch

caveman style (outside of home) 1" pipe and oven mit, heat pipe with propane torch and melt your hole in plastic

sswilson

Staff member
caveman style (outside of home) 1" pipe and oven mit, heat pipe with propane torch and melt your hole in plastic
Heh... that's not all that far off of what finally transpired.....

No pipe + heat, but the hole saw on my drill press was doing as much (if not more) melting/burning as it was actual cutting. The last few ones I did where I did half on one side and then flipped it over (there's a pilot hole for the hole saw) to complete the task turned out pretty good and should have been what I was doing from the start.

On a related note... it broke a bloody 5/32 bit...... and again, it's only 7mm / 1/4" thick. Screws don't work on it unless you drill a pilot hole that's exactly the right size to accommodate the threads and not the body of the screw.

Some kind of freaky super material went into that tray surface.... ;)

Shadowmeph

ugg I forgot that Valerian root makes me dream weird half awake/asleep I took some on Friday night didn't seem to do anything but because it can at times help me sleep I had forgotten it affects my dreams wakes me up[ slightly in a dream state even days after hehe

KaptCrunch

SS sure you didn't order the explosion proof desk lol

i drill 1/8 pilot for the 1/4 hole saw pilot

sounds you need to use cobolt bits slow speed

or use spray bottle filled with water to bits / saw

lowfat

Staff member
Dropped something on my phone and broke the screen. :(

Would consider upgrading but I haven't found any non-Samsung phones that have a 6.9" or bigger screen. So looks like I'm going to swap the display out.

Mr. Friendly

Dropped something on my phone and broke the screen. :(

Would consider upgrading but I haven't found any non-Samsung phones that have a 6.9" or bigger screen. So looks like I'm going to swap the display out.
the Nokia 8.3 has a 6.89" display...and it's coming to the USA. I don't know if that means it's coming to Canada as well. if not, let's just cross our fingers it supports are the LTE bands we use up here.

on the aside, what phone do you have? 6.9" is a great size! :D

lowfat

Staff member
the Nokia 8.3 has a 6.89" display...and it's coming to the USA. I don't know if that means it's coming to Canada as well. if not, let's just cross our fingers it supports are the LTE bands we use up here.

on the aside, what phone do you have? 6.9" is a great size! :D
Xiaomi Mi Max 3 rooted and flashed w/ a Google Treble rom.

The Nokia looks nice, but $800 CAD for a mid range CPU is kinda messed up. If it works in India or China, it probably supports bands in Canada. For the last 6-7 years my phones have all been Xiaomi and they've all worked on Telus / Sasktel. Although I'm pretty sure they won't work for most US carriers.

Izerous

Folding Team
Wife mobile contract ended snooped around at renewal and transfer offers they changed the policies and prices jumped for what I was doing.
When i renewed mine for example I got a case, screen protector, wireless car charger, wireless desk charger, wireless earbuds and more as freebies on a 1GB plan, pay a bit upfront for the phone with costco cash cards as another freebie to cover that cost.

Now any renewals or transfers right now it's $45 for a plan and the cost of the phone is no longer baked into the plan but an extra on top making the plans $65 for 1GB to get a phone included. Only 1 carrier even offered to do anything like a free case or screen protector, and all the primary carries seem to have the same price right now $45 for 1GB and $20/m for most phones that i'm looking at for her.

Seriously considering kicking her over to a BYOP plan on lucky or similar for a while.

Latest posts

Twitter