What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Rants etc.....

sswilson

Staff member
Wife mobile contract ended snooped around at renewal and transfer offers they changed the policies and prices jumped for what I was doing.
When i renewed mine for example I got a case, screen protector, wireless car charger, wireless desk charger, wireless earbuds and more as freebies on a 1GB plan, pay a bit upfront for the phone with costco cash cards as another freebie to cover that cost.

Now any renewals or transfers right now it's $45 for a plan and the cost of the phone is no longer baked into the plan but an extra on top making the plans $65 for 1GB to get a phone included. Only 1 carrier even offered to do anything like a free case or screen protector, and all the primary carries seem to have the same price right now $45 for 1GB and $20/m for most phones that i'm looking at for her.

Seriously considering kicking her over to a BYOP plan on lucky or similar for a while.
If you do that, don't forget to ask around friends/relatives to see if anybody has an existing plan that can get you (and he/she) a credit / deal. PM typically has some kind of referral credit and is currently $23 + tax for 1GB/30 days on auto-pay.

Mr. Friendly

Wife mobile contract ended snooped around at renewal and transfer offers they changed the policies and prices jumped for what I was doing.
When i renewed mine for example I got a case, screen protector, wireless car charger, wireless desk charger, wireless earbuds and more as freebies on a 1GB plan, pay a bit upfront for the phone with costco cash cards as another freebie to cover that cost.

Now any renewals or transfers right now it's $45 for a plan and the cost of the phone is no longer baked into the plan but an extra on top making the plans $65 for 1GB to get a phone included. Only 1 carrier even offered to do anything like a free case or screen protector, and all the primary carries seem to have the same price right now $45 for 1GB and $20/m for most phones that i'm looking at for her.

Seriously considering kicking her over to a BYOP plan on lucky or similar for a while.
have you taken a look at Shaw Mobile? new carrier competing with their Freedom Mobile.

Mr. Friendly

Xiaomi Mi Max 3 rooted and flashed w/ a Google Treble rom.

The Nokia looks nice, but $800 CAD for a mid range CPU is kinda messed up. If it works in India or China, it probably supports bands in Canada. For the last 6-7 years my phones have all been Xiaomi and they've all worked on Telus / Sasktel. Although I'm pretty sure they won't work for most US carriers.
yeh, the 8.3 is a bit much in price...but the CPU isn't really mid-range. I'd classify the 765G as more entry level top end. I suspect they will have to drop their price to compete with the 3 or 4 other phones using the 765G as they're coming in $200 - $300 lower.

how expensive is it to fix your Max 3 screen?

lowfat

Staff member
yeh, the 8.3 is a bit much in price...but the CPU isn't really mid-range. I'd classify the 765G as more entry level top end. I suspect they will have to drop their price to compete with the 3 or 4 other phones using the 765G as they're coming in $200 - $300 lower.

how expensive is it to fix your Max 3 screen?
$40 - $50 in parts. But its a rather stressful repair.

Izerous

Folding Team
have you taken a look at Shaw Mobile? new carrier competing with their Freedom Mobile.
I didn't until just now. and their by the gig plans look pretty agressive and tempting. $15/mo unlimited calling/text with $10/GB overages for someone who will not likely go over seems attrative (no longer a shaw customer to get the $0 plan).

I'll have to read over their stuff closer.

Mr. Friendly

I didn't until just now. and their by the gig plans look pretty agressive and tempting. $15/mo unlimited calling/text with $10/GB overages for someone who will not likely go over seems attrative (no longer a shaw customer to get the $0 plan).

I'll have to read over their stuff closer.
please post here when you find the caveats do what seems to be an amazing deal. there's gotta be some... :p

Mr. Friendly

Shaw owns Freedom... definitely not competing against them...
if company A owns companies B and C...who offer similar products...they're competing against each other. it's just still to the benefit of company A. some see it as using more options to garner more market share. but really, it's all semantics and doesn't matter in the end. :p

lowfat

Staff member
UGH. Needed to take my main PC down since I need it for measurements, etc for new case. So installed my old i5-6400 + Z170A instead. Same GPU,
displays, etc.

I had HDR working on the LG C9 but now its straight garbage. If I watch SDR on YouTube, after a second the screen will tint massively purple. Or it over saturates it. But if I click outside of the window it goes to normal. Same GPU drivers, Windows fully updated.

Latest posts

Twitter