What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Rants etc.....

sswilson

Staff member
Grrrrr......

Contrary to the experience most folks have reported while using iCue, I've had pretty good luck with it respecting my colour configuration(s). NZXT's Cam OTOH has been a nightmare from day one, and only seems to get the occasional period of time where an update seems to have convinced it to work as advertised.

The latest issue is recovering from sleep.... it's applying a straight white colour as opposed to the muted blue I've programmed in and the only way to get it to apply the correct setting is to close the program and re-open it. What a major PITA!

Might be time to start shopping around for a set of corsair light strips to replace this NZXT Hue+ (I can't complain too much.... I got it for free using NCIX points.... :) ).

edit: I set a price watch @$40 for the corsair 4 pack maybe I'll grab a set when/if it goes on sale.

Well... didn't want to wait so I bit the bullet and ordered a $50 4 strip corsair kit. It'll either plug directly into my commander pro (not sure if I've used both channels or not) or I've got a ton of assorted corsair stand-alone lighting controllers from my fan purchases.

lowfat

Staff member
Well... didn't want to wait so I bit the bullet and ordered a $50 4 strip corsair kit. It'll either plug directly into my commander pro (not sure if I've used both channels or not) or I've got a ton of assorted corsair stand-alone lighting controllers from my fan purchases.
WS2812 LED strips from Aliexpress should work no problem. Pretty sure every manufacturer is using these strips.

sswilson

Staff member
WS2812 LED strips from Aliexpress should work no problem. Pretty sure every manufacturer is using these strips.

Corsair's wiring is non-standard and I didn't have much luck trying to get the ali-express "gender change" adapters to work right on my previous attempt so I just bit the bullet and paid the big bucks to keep all of my RGB within the Corsair family. (I only wanted it for a fixed colour... I could have gone with a usb powered controller).

I know the corsair setup is working for me so I'm not going to tempt fate. :)

FreeKnight

what's wrong with Kamloops? that's where I grew up! :D
Well if I'm going to be honest.... It's kind of 'meth-y'. The skid population is pretty substantial, and the rest of the town is kind of 'white trashy'. It's by no means the worst place I've ever been to, but I wouldn't say I'm a fan.

lowfat

Staff member
Was copying some data to a couple of Samsung 950 Pro SSDs and was noticing some pretty poor write speeds. So I bench them just now. One drive gets a whopping 60MB/s sequential writes and the other is doing about 100MB/s. And the random write performance is TERRIBLE. Both are around 1.6MB/s. Mechanical hard drives are faster.

EDIT:

For some reason write caching was turned off for both drives.

Last edited:

Shadowmeph

flat on my way to work took me 5 minute s remembering how to lower the tire under my truck then another 5 minutes pumping up the spare now I have to buy probably at least two new tires because I drive a 4x4 I am just pissed at that I have to go and do that more the n what it will possible cost and it was an aluminum bracket I would have seen it so I ma 98% sure someone put it behind my tire and I didn't notice it while backing up earlier when I went out so I know that this tire cannot be repaired I might get away with putting a boot in it but it will probably split at a later date.

sswilson

Staff member
In the process of dropping my daily coffee intake from 8 carafe measured cups down to 4 and my current blade "grinder" isn't that great at that small of a level...

I had/have a cuisinart burr grinder but it only lasted a couple of months before one of the safety interlock switches (either the ground coffee container in place, or the empty hopper switch) decided to start behaving flaky (it's at the point now where it won't run unless I do something like ritually sacrifice a couple of k-pods :) ). Based on that, and the reviews I've seen online I'm reluctant to give the cuisinart another try, but from the looks of it, just about every other burr grinder under $200 has similar complaints about poor quality and quick death.

TLDR: Having a problem tracking down a reasonably priced burr coffee grinder that's reasonably well reviewed.

Mr. Friendly

In the process of dropping my daily coffee intake from 8 carafe measured cups down to 4 and my current blade "grinder" isn't that great at that small of a level...

I had/have a cuisinart burr grinder but it only lasted a couple of months before one of the safety interlock switches (either the ground coffee container in place, or the empty hopper switch) decided to start behaving flaky (it's at the point now where it won't run unless I do something like ritually sacrifice a couple of k-pods :) ). Based on that, and the reviews I've seen online I'm reluctant to give the cuisinart another try, but from the looks of it, just about every other burr grinder under $200 has similar complaints about poor quality and quick death.

TLDR: Having a problem tracking down a reasonably priced burr coffee grinder that's reasonably well reviewed.
the Baratza Encore is the one you want...it's about $190. I've bought many of them as gifts and they all love it.

sswilson

Staff member
the Baratza Encore is the one you want...it's about $190. I've bought many of them as gifts and they all love it.

Heh.... I don't doubt it's a great grinder, but I really didn't want to spend $200. I'm also a little leery of any product that sells for the exact same amount at every possible retail outlet.

Does it ever go on sale?

Latest posts

Twitter