What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Rants etc.....

sswilson

Staff member
As much as I love my Encore it isn't without faults . Namely the range for "normal" coffee is way to small (3-4 out of 40) The one thing I will say is Baratza is AWESOME to deal with. Online disassembly videos, they sent me free parts etc. Its not a use it for a couple and years and trash it because some 10cent part breaks kind of company.

I do somewhat regret not moving to the Virtuoso as it is, or is reported, to be a lot more precise. I have a Kruve to help but if you were not an early backer that's the price difference right there...

What do you consider the grind required for "normal" coffee? I'm using a standard drip coffee maker so recommendations seem to run between medium and medium-fine. I don't believe I'd need course ground, and wouldn't be doing espresso so I don't need any kind of fine either.

Entz

Medium Imo. It’s what most pre-ground would be. If your using paper, medium fine is well fine. I am not a big fan of mud / large amount of fines in my coffee and tend to use metal filters which have larger pores.

since I have been home, normal for me is actually on the coarser side as I have been using the bodum every day and need to sift out the fines as is.

Prickly007

Yeah that site is pretty dubious. The Rancilio Rocky, which I own and use for drip/pour-over/French press, has not been recommended as an espresso grinder for maybe 10+ years.

the guy who automates everything in his house, manually grinds his coffee.

Totally, did not see that coming. :eek:

What do you consider the grind required for "normal" coffee?

Every grinder is different; there can even be differences amongst two machines of the same model. If you want to get you're nerd on, you try a variety of grinds and the consult the Coffee Compass.

Mr. Friendly

How do you fell about a manual grinder? As I recall, under $200 they're generally better "value"; especially the less coffee one drinks.

Agree with the first part... And then you recommend the Baratza Encore. D'oh!!!

If you increase the budget, a little, sswilson, you likely won't need to buy another grinder ever again.
what's better than the Encore @ $200, aside from some manual grinders?

you honestly need to spend more to get a really good electric grinder, like the Virtuoso or the Vario, but most shy away from the price.

FreeKnight

Finished setting up my home network, terminated the basement cables with RJ45 jacks, put a new outlet to have power for the ethernet switch. Plugged my modem into one wall outlet, and a router into another. So far, so good.

Plugged my shield and OLED into wall jacks, and neither will connect to the network. I get lights on my switch saying they're connected but not the 1000Mbps lights. I tested each cable with a basic ethernet tester and got the individual light ups (1,2,3,4,...8), but for some reason I'm not getting ethernet on either. Oddly enough my wifi is fine now that it's hooked up to the switch, but not these individual devices.

Going to get a usb-ethernet adapter so I can use my surface to test the other jacks I've put in the house, but I'm not sure what the problem is.

FreeKnight

Finished setting up my home network, terminated the basement cables with RJ45 jacks, put a new outlet to have power for the ethernet switch. Plugged my modem into one wall outlet, and a router into another. So far, so good.

Plugged my shield and OLED into wall jacks, and neither will connect to the network. I get lights on my switch saying they're connected but not the 1000Mbps lights. I tested each cable with a basic ethernet tester and got the individual light ups (1,2,3,4,...8), but for some reason I'm not getting ethernet on either. Oddly enough my wifi is fine now that it's hooked up to the switch, but not these individual devices.

Going to get a usb-ethernet adapter so I can use my surface to test the other jacks I've put in the house, but I'm not sure what the problem is.
Hmmmm so if I run the modem to the router and then router to the switch, it seems like everything works. I guess the issue is going
Modem > Switch > Devices (incl' router) with devices not working but router working
whereas
Modem > Router > Switch > Devices seems to work fine :unsure:

Latest posts

Twitter