What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Rants etc.....

sswilson

Staff member
how about the fact that KB4579311 update cause 3 of my systems to hang at restarting icon only for me to have to force a system shut down well-doing updates cause that doesn't make me nervous at all WTF Microsoft. Or is it just my bad luck cause I can't find anyone else having this problem

No, it's not only you. At least 2 of the 4 PCs in my household had this issue, as well as coming back with a "we had problems installing the latest update you can retry now or we'll try again later" error.

djbrad

Had 1 on 3 (2 others not installed yet) hang on restart with last update too. I had to push reset after a few minutes and the update installed on next reboot.

gingerbee

No, it's not only you. At least 2 of the 4 PCs in my household had this issue, as well as coming back with a "we had problems installing the latest update you can retry now or we'll try again later" error.
yup had that re-install happen to one pc it took 2 times to try to get it to work kept erroring out kinda glad it's not just me. the strange thing is worked fine on all my older AMD stuff like everything first gen ryzen was perfect not a single problem. only pc's that I had problems with were zen 2 cpu's no clue if that matters or just me

Mr. Friendly

living in a small town sucks sometimes. I don't have a Freedom store nearby...closest is in Prince George, a 9 hour drive from here. they have a promo to get a Galaxy S20 FE at no charge on a 2 year $60/m plan that gives you 20GB of data. but...you have to go in store to sign up. :(

sswilson

Staff member
Isn't Freedom one of those "our service is absolutely horrendous outside of our designated coverage zone" providers? Maybe even one of the ones who cut you off if you spend the majority of your time outside of their coverage zone?

Freedom Nationwide​

When you travel outside of Freedom’s network in Canada, your phone will be connected to a partner network—Rogers, TELUS, or Bell. Your phone will say “Nationwide” in the corner so you’ll know that you’re connected to a partner network. When you’re connected to a partner network, you’ll have access to your “Freedom Nationwide” part of your plan. Typically, you will have far less data to use on a partner network than on Freedom’s main network.
Quality of voice and data services may vary while outside of the Freedom Mobile network, due to things like:
  • Technical capacity
  • Device capabilities
  • Terrain
  • Foliage
  • Weather conditions

Last edited:

Dwayne

We switched to Shaw a couple months back, which is Freedom I guess. We had no issues in Winnipeg when we travelled there. It did say Nationwide on our phones, but the service seemed no different to us. Of course, others may be more demanding of their service than we are, but no complaints here. And we are in our own service area in Courtenay/Comox, it has been great. Well worth the price of $0.

sswilson

Staff member
We switched to Shaw a couple months back, which is Freedom I guess. We had no issues in Winnipeg when we travelled there. It did say Nationwide on our phones, but the service seemed no different to us. Of course, others may be more demanding of their service than we are, but no complaints here. And we are in our own service area in Courtenay/Comox, it has been great. Well worth the price of $0.

The big concern here would be Data. If he's not in a Freedom coverage area (and if there aren't any stores within 9 hours travel there's a good chance he isn't) then he's not going to get 20GB, he'll instead get whatever the lower "nationwide" limit is.

Mr. Friendly

@sswilson their coverage map shows their service should be fine in the city...quite a small area to cover for the footprint Prince Rupert has. however, it's a bit worse then most of the others as the golf course usually has coverage with them but it shows it would be 'national' for Freedom.

and the data isn't a big deal to me...just their actual cell performance as I'm usually on my wifi, being I work from home. I currently pay $45/m for 15GB of data with Fido (they just upgraded me from 5GB to 15GB for free last month) but any phone I want I have to have a tab and pay in full, which would mean $70+/m for 2 years. so the $60/m with 20GB and a free $1000 phone makes sense if the service is right. :p

Latest posts

Twitter