What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Rants etc.....

JD

Staff member
Sony and LG OLEDs are on sale currently all over the world. Then I see Visio's OLED is also on sale. Go to check if they are in sale in Canada. Well it seems Vizio has pulled out of Canada completely and no longer sells products here. (n)
I somehow doubt they are the only company that left Canada this year... but yes it is a shame.

lowfat

Staff member
Get my ARGBs setup outside of my PC yesterday. After a bunch of trial and error I found firmware for the ESP8266 that suits my requirements. Get it setup. All good. But you can see the first LED isn't working, which I didn't notice. I had it turned off in the FW for some reason.

Get all the LEDs installed in to the case last night. Then today I go to test it before I finish off the wiring. Something funky is going on. LEDs are not the correct colours and flickering bad when I change colours / brightness. But I found if I pressed on the 1st LED segment it worked perfect. So I try to solder wires directly to the 2nd segment, but it straight up wont work. And I somehow killed the ESP8266. :(

So flash another. Hook it up to the 2nd segment, still nothing. I assumed that doing and the LEDs before it won't work, but nothing works. So I cut off the first 2 LED segments and solder to the 3rd. STILL nothing. Pull out mutlimeter and verify LED is getting 12V further down the strip. Go to test conductivity for the data line from the ESP8266 to the strip.... and my multimeter slips and I send 12V to the new ESP8266. :eek:

So I'm down 2 and in a worse spot than last night. :(

KaptCrunch

flash another. Hook it up to the 2nd segment, still nothing. I assumed that doing and the LEDs before it won't work, but nothing works. So I cut off the first 2 LED segments and solder to the 3rd. STILL nothing. Pull out mutlimeter and verify LED is getting 12V further down the strip. Go to test conductivity for the data line from the ESP8266 to the strip.... and my multimeter slips and I send 12V to the new ESP8266. :eek:

So I'm down 2 and in a worse spot than last night. :(
hope you unplugged the solding iron after heated up then solder. for my cheap CTC iron was giving 27 VAC @ the tip to ground while plugged in or use the heat gun and
Self-Solder Butt Splice Connectors

Last edited:

Shadowmeph

lol more of a rant at myself because I have spent the last two few days having disconnections my modem every little while would disconnect from the net and it wasn't until now that I remembered that if I have my laptop, raspi, cell phone and two tablets that I use basically as remote controls connected its all good but when I turn on my Gaming PC or other PC as well my internet intermittently disconnects hehe

ipaine

Sony and LG OLEDs are on sale currently all over the world. Then I see Visio's OLED is also on sale. Go to check if they are in sale in Canada. Well it seems Vizio has pulled out of Canada completely and no longer sells products here. (n)
Damn that is a shame. They have good TVs and I certainly like mine.

Bartacus

Speaking of 'rants at yourself' I ordered a crap ton of fittings from Daz for future builds, most of it EK. I don't much care for EK products, but their fittings are reasonably priced, and Daz had a Halloween sale. So I put in a $450 order, not realizing the sale wasn't on till Halloween, I put my order in too early and totally missed the sale. So I ended up paying extra for gear from a company I don't even like. DOOOOOOOH!

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Speaking of 'rants at yourself' I ordered a crap ton of fittings from Daz for future builds, most of it EK. I don't much care for EK products, but their fittings are reasonably priced, and Daz had a Halloween sale. So I put in a $450 order, not realizing the sale wasn't on till Halloween, I put my order in too early and totally missed the sale. So I ended up paying extra for gear from a company I don't even like. DOOOOOOOH!
Did you contact Daz? He was pritty active on the forums before starting up his store, and a good person to deal with. Drop a HWC mention, I'm sure he'll fix ya up.

Bartacus

Did you contact Daz? He was pritty active on the forums before starting up his store, and a good person to deal with. Drop a HWC mention, I'm sure he'll fix ya up.
Nah, I would never ask Daz to correct a mistake I made myself, that's not fair to him. My bad for not reading the details, nor noticing the lack of discounts as I added stuff to my cart. It's all good though, in the end I'm looking forward to these big satin titanium fittings.

sswilson

Staff member
Still getting hit with 8 of 10 spam/malware posts/registrations coming from Russia or one of it's former satellites. It'll be interesting to see if that is mostly directed at the US election (and thus will slow down in a week or so), or if it's just the region where the great majority of internet bad actors are currently based.