What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Rants etc.....

Shadowmeph

Not really a Rant
I always watch the weather network on the net and noticed that the East coast has been getting allot of snow 55cm so far although I dont mind the snow as long as the other drivers are not idiots but I wouldn't want to have a power outage in that. just hoping all the East Coasters are all good

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Got an email from Canada Computers telling me the entire build I put together for a friend is on back order.

Checked their website, and everything is in stock, and 'available online'... What the hell is CC doing?

draemn

Went to see if it was worth buying a fully modular PSU for a custom sleeving job and I was dismayed to find out all the fuckers now combine the GPU 6+2 pins on to a single cable!!!!! NO, that's not the look I want with a custom sleeve job... asdklgjalksdgj, guess I'll stick to modding my current non-modular PSU.

lowfat

Staff member
For years subtitles were messed up on Prime Video in Canada for nearly every platform. Embedded subs would not display, unless you turned them off. Shield was one of the few devices it worked right.

Fast forward a couple years, buy anew Samsung tv. Ones again subtitles are messed. This time it defaults all embedded subs to German. Turning them on/off fixes it. But anything w/ text would be displayed in German still. Happened for about a year, until just a few months ago when the app finally moved to the new UI.

Buy an LG tv in Jan, subs work great, but it had the new Prime Video w/ the new UI.

Now fast forward today. Both tv's are back to randomly doing German for embedded subs. Language and subs are set to English. Turning them on/off fixed them. Sometimes I have to do it every single episode.

How is it that Prime Video can have nearly the same issues on at least 3 platforms for 5 years?

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
For years subtitles were messed up on Prime Video in Canada for nearly every platform. Embedded subs would not display, unless you turned them off. Shield was one of the few devices it worked right.

Fast forward a couple years, buy anew Samsung tv. Ones again subtitles are messed. This time it defaults all embedded subs to German. Turning them on/off fixes it. But anything w/ text would be displayed in German still. Happened for about a year, until just a few months ago when the app finally moved to the new UI.

Buy an LG tv in Jan, subs work great, but it had the new Prime Video w/ the new UI.

Now fast forward today. Both tv's are back to randomly doing German for embedded subs. Language and subs are set to English. Turning them on/off fixed them. Sometimes I have to do it every single episode.

How is it that Prime Video can have nearly the same issues on at least 3 platforms for 5 years?

My guess is a lack of standards with regards to this kind of thing? But then that XKCD standards comic applies...

sswilson

Staff member
Push notifications as default needs to DIAF!!!!!!!

I'm setting up a new phone and the app notifications are driving me batty. No.... when I install 6 different news apps, I do not want morning/daily/hourly/breaking news notifications from each and every different app.

Yes, Android 10 has a pretty decent function to block all app push notifications, but that's a "kludge" and without finding the (hidden?) setting within individual app(s) you end up getting nag screens when you launch the app complaining that Android is "blocking" their notifications.

Same goes for defaulting as a "background" app in order to allow for "timely" creation of those notifications.

No, just no!!! If I want the information/content that an app can provide I'll launch the bloody thing. If that content/information is something I'd like to be informed about as it happens (like banking transactions), give me an option to have it emailed to me and I'll see it that way.

Maybe I'm an outlier, but I put push notifications in the same category of annoyances as I do spam emails and telemarketers. If I didn't specifically ask for it, I don't bloody well want it.

Herne

Glass half full- good opportunity to learn German. I have been disappointed that I can't watch DAZN Serie A games in Italian, just to try and practice the language (don't actually need the commentary all that much).

Latest posts