What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Rants etc.....

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
It's like the Darwin effect. Those of us who believe in medicine and scientific results will have the vaccine and not get this virus or pass it on to our elders who are dying like mad when they get it. Those who don't vaccinate will get it, get bloody sick, and probably pass it on to their parents or grandparents who have a 1 in 12 chance of dying. I'd personally prefer not to get it or pass it on to my mother who has asthma as I'd like her to live a lot longer. If it killed as many children as it does old people I think there'd be less naysayers.

Shadowmeph

I have my Doubts about this vaccination talk I mean for decades they couldn't make vaccinations that work for allot of things then out of know where within 1 year they have vaccinations that work for this and lets be honest it wasn't to long ago they were talking about Covid adapting and changing all the time ... I call BS . Now do get me wrong I hope that it is for real but I have a feeling that it is word play to make it seem like these vaccinations work as they are implied to work I get the feeling that its more about getting the government contract then anything. Also for the news media its selling papers. I do hope that whom ever actually does the " real " testing is truthful and uses real words no double speak or words that can have slightly different meanings to make it sound that it works .

danmitch1

I agree, imagine the huge dollar amount behind all this... its really disgusting. I read the ceo of pfizer sold off half his shares once landing a gov contract.
Plus, the regular flue vaccines are rarely anywhere near as effective as they claim these ones to be.

Mr. Friendly

checked Fido for phone upgrade options and for some reason the system limits me to 15 phones when I log in and most of them are 'recertified' so no idea what's going on. <_<

FreeKnight

I have my Doubts about this vaccination talk I mean for decades they couldn't make vaccinations that work for allot of things then out of know where within 1 year they have vaccinations that work for this and lets be honest it wasn't to long ago they were talking about Covid adapting and changing all the time ... I call BS . Now do get me wrong I hope that it is for real but I have a feeling that it is word play to make it seem like these vaccinations work as they are implied to work I get the feeling that its more about getting the government contract then anything. Also for the news media its selling papers. I do hope that whom ever actually does the " real " testing is truthful and uses real words no double speak or words that can have slightly different meanings to make it sound that it works .
Making a vaccine for 1 specific strain of a specific type of virus is very different than making a vaccine for all influenzas, or all rhinoviruses. They actively make new vaccines every year for varying strains of influenza. There have been several new vaccines over the last few decades;

Varicella (chickenpox - 1996),
rotavirus (1998-1999; 2006, 2008);
hepatitis A (2000);
pneumococcal vaccine (2001)
Tdap, 2005,
meningococcal conjugate (2005),
HPV (2006 females, 2009 males),
meningococcal serogroup B vaccine (2014)

You're talking out of your butt on that one Shadow.

2 of the COVID 19 vaccines use new technology that is a first in vacination; mrna vaccination which potentially has much faster development times than say a live attenuated vaccine.

SBM has some good brief write ups on the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines

There's reason to make sure that the vaccines are still get rigorous review and results become available for peer-review without needing to go into Orwellian conspiracies.

draemn

I'm sitting on a cart at Newegg.ca and debating to pull the pin on a motherboard and RAM. I don't like shopping at Newegg, but the ram I'd like isn't in stock at Memex, and the price difference at newegg balances out their crappy shipping rates.

It's don't like buying from Newegg, but maybe I'll suck it up and just get the case/processor from Memex
Screw newegg if possible

Shadowmeph

I still dont by it especially when they were talking about it mutating I think its more of a money grab then anything also to stop people from panicking to gain a little more control of the narrative of whats going on again though I do hope that I am wrong but my gut says I am not. then you have people in BC saying there is now sign that people have caught Covid from going t other e temples or churches or places of worship. then other people posting things on p[laces like face book of police talking to people in restaurants or standing at a car window and the people posting are saying that the police are asking if these people live together and handing out fines I mean what is with people why cause more issues this is why I also think that it is more to control the narrative. there is talk about boss's laying off people if they do not take the vaccines I do sort of understand that but at the same time I still haven't see any proof at all that there is an actual vaccine never mind if it work even 1/100th as good as they claim it does it is all hear say .

sswilson

Staff member
Ordered stuff last week from The Body Shop for Christmas presents that need to be mailed (fortunately it's only from the main sorting facility in NB to the main sorting facility in NS so it's best case scenario) but once the tracking finally hit I'm seeing that it's shipping from the US! If I had know that I would have gone to the local store to pick this stuff up. :(

ipaine

I do think people are right to be at least a little worried about any potential vaccine. We have had very little luck in a broad sense with flu vaccines and this is a very flu like virus.
Now it is a single virus whereas the "flu" vaccine done each year is them guessing what strain will be dominant and hoping they get it right. And even when they do it is certainly not anywhere close to 100% effective. That said there is a ton of money and time being poured into research for covid, so hopefully they do find something truly effective. But I would not be surprised in the least if it does not become a once/twice a year type of vaccine.

And anyone that doesn't think huge amounts of money is there to be made off of covid vaccines is crazy, even more so if they do become seasonal.

As for actual rant, in the vein of the covid. We have a bunch of restrictions here in Edmonton, yet they don't and won't fine people or even kick them off of transit when they are not wearing masks. Not to mention the number of homeless on it each morning, when there is no need too as there are available shelters. But City of Edmonton would rather enforce through education than fines, but considering how long we have had the mask bylaw, that clearly is not working. Drives me crazy that the most dangerous part of my wife's day is going to work and back home on the train.

danmitch1

As for actual rant, in the vein of the covid. We have a bunch of restrictions here in Edmonton, yet they don't and won't fine people or even kick them off of transit when they are not wearing masks. Not to mention the number of homeless on it each morning, when there is no need too as there are available shelters. But City of Edmonton would rather enforce through education than fines, but considering how long we have had the mask bylaw, that clearly is not working. Drives me crazy that the most dangerous part of my wife's day is going to work and back home on the train.
Same here, I feel like a broken record.. No one seems to acknowledge the fact that most of the transmissions most likely happen on public transport. Im still biking in to work as I cant stand the no masker, no distancing metro ride. My GF also has no choice but to use it.. nerve wracking every day...
But shutting down restaurants and bars is top priority when at least at these places distancing and mask wearing is actually enforced. Also, what part of the population are you protecting by shutting down restaurants and bars? Not poor people with a family who cant afford to go to a restaurant or bar, these are also the people that have to use public transport..... Most people that can afford to go eat out a a restaurant most likely also have the option to work from home, and have various support structures in place and IMO are least likely to be infected.