What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Rants etc.....

Lysrin

I have no clue where you find the hours in the day to do the things you do...between your 3D printer, side projects like these keyboards, and spending 10 days overclocking your CPU...
And don't forget the reading! Good golly all the books... 😁

Keep it up @lowfat ! I live vicariously through a lot of your posts! ;) Sorry about the keyboard issues though. That is frustrating for sure.

Shadowmeph

not really a rant more of a small worry I am on sick leave because of my accident and my checks are 300 cad more then my normal checks and I a mot sure why this is and also if I will have to pay back the difference or more tax at the end of the year and also the devil angle on my shoulders saying tell them not tell them

Lysrin

not really a rant more of a small worry I am on sick leave because of my accident and my checks are 300 cad more then my normal checks and I a mot sure why this is and also if I will have to pay back the difference or more tax at the end of the year and also the devil angle on my shoulders saying tell them not tell them
Well, if there is any chance you'd have to pay it back because it was a mistake I'd be putting it aside somewhere and not spending it. I had that issue at a previous job, not health related, rather an issue with the pay system, and when they finally figured it out I had the money to return. No biggie.

Someone "should" be able to tell you why you are getting more?

Urotsukidoji

I have had this ebay issue as well, way back when paypal was new (yes I'm old) all my ebay listings said payment by money order only (very common back in the day). After a woman won an auction of mine, she wanted to use paypal, I said as per the listing, it is money order only. She freaks and leaves negative feedback because I "changed the payment option after the sale and it seemed like a scam"???? WTF? It was right in the description! Still pisses me off.

sswilson

Staff member
So.... we're several months after giving up on pairing an RX 560 w/ an Acer i3 3220 board (I assumed it was related to a lack of UEFI compatibility in bios), and ultimately buying a 1650 laptop to carry out the function I wanted. I ended up throwing the RX 560 into my main work rig, and was working on throwing together a low - mid range 1080p rig out of the 3220 using an R7 370, but saw a GTX 960 come up on kijiji at a reasonable price so thought I'd grab it and give the i3 one more shot at the task (the 960 is HDMI 2.0 so 4K @ 60hz is available while the R7 370 wasn't even doing 1440p @ 60hz for some reason).

Throw it in and..... nothing..... the same bloody reaction as I got with the RX 560. Damnit!!!! I was under the impression that Nvidia waited a lot longer before they started putting out cards that weren't backwards compatible with pre-UEFI boards. This board had absolutely no problem running the 370, nor did it have any issues with a GT 1030.... ah well, it was worth a shot, but wait.... this board is super finicky when it comes to new hardware (ram, or HDDs) and often requires a CMOS reset to pick it up....

Give a CMOS reset a shot, and voila!!!!! I have video off of the GTX 960 which is happily doing 4K @ 60hz, and pumping out the required frame rates for Plane9.

Why is this a rant???? Well... I haven't tested it yet, but I'm 99% certain that was probably the same issue with the RX 560 I gave up on 3 months ago and I'm pretty sure the 560 would have done the trick as well, but I never in a million years thought to try a CMOS reset for a video card that wasn't being picked up.

sswilson

Staff member
Heh......

Just finished putting my Dell G3 (in my sig) up on the local kijiji, and I get an almost immediate response (literally within 10 minutes of it being posted) from somebody who's been a member for 3 whole days..... what do we think the chance are that he/she/it is either going to want to pay by cheque, or wants me to ship and be paid via their link to paypal??? :)

EMT or nothing folks.... sorry.... :)

sswilson

Staff member
So.... we're several months after giving up on pairing an RX 560 w/ an Acer i3 3220 board (I assumed it was related to a lack of UEFI compatibility in bios), and ultimately buying a 1650 laptop to carry out the function I wanted. I ended up throwing the RX 560 into my main work rig, and was working on throwing together a low - mid range 1080p rig out of the 3220 using an R7 370, but saw a GTX 960 come up on kijiji at a reasonable price so thought I'd grab it and give the i3 one more shot at the task (the 960 is HDMI 2.0 so 4K @ 60hz is available while the R7 370 wasn't even doing 1440p @ 60hz for some reason).

Throw it in and..... nothing..... the same bloody reaction as I got with the RX 560. Damnit!!!! I was under the impression that Nvidia waited a lot longer before they started putting out cards that weren't backwards compatible with pre-UEFI boards. This board had absolutely no problem running the 370, nor did it have any issues with a GT 1030.... ah well, it was worth a shot, but wait.... this board is super finicky when it comes to new hardware (ram, or HDDs) and often requires a CMOS reset to pick it up....

Give a CMOS reset a shot, and voila!!!!! I have video off of the GTX 960 which is happily doing 4K @ 60hz, and pumping out the required frame rates for Plane9.

Why is this a rant???? Well... I haven't tested it yet, but I'm 99% certain that was probably the same issue with the RX 560 I gave up on 3 months ago and I'm pretty sure the 560 would have done the trick as well, but I never in a million years thought to try a CMOS reset for a video card that wasn't being picked up.

Quick follow up to this.... I tried the RX 560 in the system and it picked it up without requiring a CMOS reset. Best guess I've got is that it does a Legacy/UEFI graphics check on the first post after a reset and then sticks to that mode until the next reset.

I'm going to stick with the RX 560 in this build in spite of the 960 having a bit more grunt... it's a newer card and thus supports HDR (I've got it plugged into a 4K TV) and it looks like it allows 60hz @ 1440p (the 960 didn't do that out of the box... it only offered 30hz @ 1440p while it was willing to do 60hz @ 4K). The monitor on my main work rig is GSync compatible so the 960 is a better match for it as well.

win-win, and I learned something over the last couple of days. :)

Latest posts