What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Rants etc.....

gingerbee

in fact, I just have my edge set up the same way I have my chrome set up so when I open it the first time it loads the google search page and I also have the home button set to google search too so I just haven't seen it since I first opened edge, cause I will tab open the home button with the middle mouse wheel. so very long time since I have seen that page lol. If I want bing search page I just go there

crazyea

I've about had my fill with Corsair. Been a customer for over 20 years. Have been buying their memory 80 percent of the time.

In December I bought a 64gb kit of the Dominator Platinum RGB. (4 stick kit)

One of the LED's in one of the sticks was so far off color it was ridiculous. Went to the forums and found that a lot of people are having this issue. The thread says to wait until they have a fix.

Wait I did. Then they say they have it fixed and we can start an RMA.

So, I do an advance rma, and now ONE FULL stick of this memory is off color. Another thing is that in the purchase and credit of this memory during advanced rma the exchange rate changes and I'm out $15. lol. I know that's not their fault, but still. But what really pisses me off is that I originally bought Samsung B Die memory in these dominators and what came back now is Micron. And it may be in my head, but weird things have happened since, like black screens and plex crashing. It never happened before with the Samsung. I asked them why I am getting Micron when I paid for Samsung B-Die and they say they don't guarantee memory IC's.

Advanced RMA 2. I get the next replacement kit in, and finally the sticks all match, but I still have Micron, and now they want me to pay return shipping. I understand if its a year and something fails, but this is a manufacturing defect that many are facing right out of the gate. They should be covering that.

So here I am in Mid April, finally with working Dominator Platinum RGB sticks. This is supposed to be their flagship, premier line. And instead its a headache.

Seriously, I feel like dropping Corsair altogether. RGB too.

Maybe G.Skill needs a dedicated customer.

EDIT: One other thing I forgot, when I received the first RMA the serial numbers didn't even match the packaging. I asked them about it and they said not to worry about it. The second RMA the serials do match. What's going on over there? lol. See images attached for an example of the issue.

Attachments

• corsair3.jpg
    corsair3.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 6
  • corsair2.jpeg
    corsair2.jpeg
    102.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

JD

Staff member
Seriously, I feel like dropping Corsair altogether. RGB too.
I feel they've diluted their brand way too much, it's very tricky to be in so many different product categories and remain high-quality in them all. Seems like they might be having more "misses" than "wins" lately.

gingerbee

well not a rant more a yee-haw we just got a call from our bank and we have been approved for the mortgage we wanted, now the mind field of buying a house in Orillia where most homes sell after a huge bidding war and almost 100g above asking price lol

Izerous

Folding Team
well not a rant more a yee-haw we just got a call from our bank and we have been approved for the mortgage we wanted, now the mind field of buying a house in Orillia where most homes sell after a huge bidding war and almost 100g above asking price lol
We talked to our RBC branch first and honestly they were outright insulting compared to dealing with a broker. Something like fixed 5% vs fixed 2.45%. RBC doesn't host my RRSP or the RESP anymore and needless to say they didn't get the mortgages at those rates. RBC called me more than a year after to followup and ask if we still wanted a mortgage had already been in the new place for like 9 months.

sswilson

Staff member
Fixed 5%? Seriously?

We just got 1.85% fixed over 5 yrs on a refinance through Scotiabank. Although it sounds like yours was a few years ago and I know they were charging significantly more for fixed vs variable a few years back.

edit: And yeah... the current market of bidding wars well above asking is crazy. The market here is reasonable, but even we've been hit with significant upwards pressure on pricing. (My young lad bought just before Covid hit and missed the current pricing trend(s).

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Brokers are the only way to go for a mortgage.

Also, dont get caught up in the illusion of "over asking" terminology. Its a marketing ploy only. Use comparable housing sold prices when trying to decide what a property is actually worth in a given market.

Because I list my house for $10, and sold it for 1 million and got 999 999 'over asking' doesnt mean anything, now does it?

Izerous

Folding Team
Fixed 5%? Seriously?

We just got 1.85% fixed over 5 yrs on a refinance through Scotiabank. Although it sounds like yours was a few years ago and I know they were charging significantly more for fixed vs variable a few years back.

The thing with RBC was nearly 10 years ago when we bought the rental, it is actually due for renewal in ~6 months. This property isn't due for renewal for about a year yet. In short been about ~2.5% fixed on both properties for the past 4+ years. First place was 30y term and this one 25y term so in the end both properties will be payed off within <1 year of each other at this rate that will be a huge party.

FreeKnight

I use RBC for my corporate and personal chequing accounts, and have both a personal and business Avion platinum for each. That being said, they're just another big bank and there's nothing particularly good about them IMO. The Avion has been a good card for the gift card promos, but it's not a great travel card and my corporate banking is only about $10 a month.

Any of the mortgage, investment or other services are typical Canadian mega-bank ripoffs IMO. I'm always tempted to even swap my chequing accounts to a credit union or something, there's just next to no incentive to stay with them.

To be honest the convenience of a 'one stop' for my personal and business banking and Visa is the only reason I haven't jumped ship yet. Canadian banks aren't quite 'Wells Fargo' level bad yet, but they're not particularly good.

gingerbee

it fact it was RBC were dealing with and they offered a 2.3% fixed rate over 5 years of course and we talked about it being our first mortgage with them were happy with what they did offer us.

They also said 1.4% variable rate. were going to have to talk it over but we're pretty happy and the going rate for Orillia is 1.4% to 2.1% variable or 2.2% to 3.5% fixed these are the numbers we got from TD,scotia and cibc

we all know banks are just after our money in any way shape or form, every period of my life is oddly the same with banks every 10g more you put into an account they call asking what you want to do with that money like having it sit there is a bad thing lol, yes I know investments is a good thing lol.