What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Rants etc.....

Soultribunal

Staff member
There's tons of options for snow guards. None of them are cheap, so the typical homeowner doesn't want the extra expense on top of a steel roof. https://snoblox-snojax.com/products/snow-guards/

Until snow&ice rips the gutters off the first winter. Then they tend to do something.

I guess we don't have typical homeowners here, or they just roll it into the cost of the roof, but I have yet to see a Metal roof done here without them.

Whatever forever home I find for myself and my wife, will have a metal roof so I can not worry about it for a few decades.

-ST

gingerbee

Which means it'll hang up there until somebody exits the front door.... ;)
A but no you don't have me hahahahaha cause we have a covered porch and which could easily take on any ice remember we bought a house that was built by Simcoe housing, which means that is something they would have been worried about even with shingles up there so we're good. Plus as others are saying there is ice blocks and you just put in heating coils along the bottom to make sure nothing can build up.

The bigger problem is in a couple of years if I want to do a metal roof I have to convince the owner next door to do it too cause we bought semi-detached and by a stroke of luck it has a concert divider wall, so no noise problems

Yes I figure metal would be around 10G for both properties.

edit Ya I was going to say the only metal roof I have seen without some type of ice/snow guard is the metal tiles, even the metal roof that's outback of my apt has ice guards on it I helped put it in with my landlord and if we ever do metal we will 100$ be putting them in

Izerous

Folding Team
About metal + lack of snow blockers gutters is the least of your concerns.

At the rental the one neighbour actually had a really cheap metal roof installed without snow barriers...
1. The roofer put it right OVERTOP the old shingles didn't remove them
2. millions of nails jumped the fence into my yard
3. the very first winter the houses were so close (infill on 1950 neighbourhood) that the snow coming off his roof would jump the fence and land on the path on the side of my house. Come down with so much force and pack so hard that if it ever hit someone would easily send them to the hospital. We had a little chat and he had the roofer come back and address that as soon as the weather allowed in the spring.

sswilson

Staff member
About metal + lack of snow blockers gutters is the least of your concerns.

At the rental the one neighbour actually had a really cheap metal roof installed without snow barriers...
1. The roofer put it right OVERTOP the old shingles didn't remove them
2. millions of nails jumped the fence into my yard
3. the very first winter the houses were so close (infill on 1950 neighbourhood) that the snow coming off his roof would jump the fence and land on the path on the side of my house. Come down with so much force and pack so hard that if it ever hit someone would easily send them to the hospital. We had a little chat and he had the roofer come back and address that as soon as the weather allowed in the spring.

This was similar to the experience here in my neighbourhood, but in that case the snow/ice was falling onto vehicles in the neighbour's driveway. I'm not sure if they put gates/barriers up on the roof, but they did end up throwing a high fence to keep the snow/ice on their property.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
The company I work for has a metal cladding and roofing division. Because we hardly get any snow in the Greater Vancouver Area, lots of people think snow guards aren't necessary. Also, the biggest portion of residental metal roofs are re-roofs, which don't require a permit or inspection. As for roofing prices, yes the metal roof is about 2.5 - 3 times as expensive as shingles but it's a lifetime roof if done properly.

clshades

Yeah thats a good idea, only thing is that its a patio, so pavers as a floor. I suppose that I could get some tapcon screws and secure it to one of the bricks..
Or you could pull up a couple pavers and concrete in the pipe too. Cut the pavers around the pipe. I have a few ideas for that if you go that route.

gingerbee

well I am not happy with the good comes the bad sorry not house lol so a wireless update for my Umidigi a9 pro and now it's not booting I get
"your device is corrupted and may not be trusted press a certain button to proceed" So I press down and nothing happens.

SO I try to do a hard reset and recovery don't work and the fast boot doesn't work, so great if I cant flash stock ROM I am boned 3-month-old phone not happy. I really like it to

Latest posts

Twitter