What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Rants etc.....

Solace

My landlord hit a new low. Says he will sell to an interested party who will evict us on two months notice unless we volunteer to an 18% rent increase.

This guy is nuts.
Tell the guy to piss off, I did this to another landlord a few years back who wanted +300$ like 2 months after a legal pay increase. If he evicts on the two month notice let me know and ill go knock on the door later as if its the same place I got the tower off you it is quite close to people I visit. If its anyone else residing aside from family or the new owner then you can file a claim for 1 years worth of rent + any additional damages suffered from the move or additional costs of living. Burden of proof is on the landlord for this after a single piece of evidence or witness is provided.

A landlord must act in good faith if they plan to end a tenancy to:
  • Move into the unit, or have a close family member live in it
  • Sell the property and the new owner, or a close family member of the new owner, plans to live in the rental unit

gingerbee

OMG, you gotta get away from this guy, he's out of his mind. Tell him to sell then for fuck sakes he sounds like a nightmare, if I were you I would be looking for a new apartment asap.

Just so you know in Ontario it's not as easy as asking the tenant to leave ( which some do and offer money to leave ) and 100% of the time if the new owner wants to occupy a property ( unless they're an investor and wants tenants to stay ) they put a catch in the sales agreement that the seller has to get the tenants out which can take a long time. In fact we stayed away from houses that had tenants because of it.

Also, a new owner in Ontario it would take at least 3 months to get you out, normally longer

Last edited:

Soultribunal

Staff member
Tell the guy to piss off, I did this to another landlord a few years back who wanted +300$ like 2 months after a legal pay increase. If he evicts on the two month notice let me know and ill go knock on the door later as if its the same place I got the tower off you it is quite close to people I visit. If its anyone else residing aside from family or the new owner then you can file a claim for 1 years worth of rent + any additional damages suffered from the move or additional costs of living. Burden of proof is on the landlord for this after a single piece of evidence or witness is provided.

A landlord must act in good faith if they plan to end a tenancy to:
  • Move into the unit, or have a close family member live in it
  • Sell the property and the new owner, or a close family member of the new owner, plans to live in the rental unit

Actually, after Sept. 1st of this year, the claim is 2 Years worth of rent now + Damages. Just note that for the damages, you only get approx 25% as the rest goes into a fund.
I leaned this because it is literally what I am going through right now, and what prompted me to buy a house.

-ST

gingerbee

Ya, it really sounds like he is trying to scare you into his rent increase, soul where is this you talking about, what province cause I have never heard the whole 2 year damages. if they don't act in good faith.

But it really doesn't help him if the landlord does want to sell. but this comes off as a threat, Even if you don't have to move I would be looking to move cause your landlord is a real piece of work

crazyea

Thanks guys, I am aware of the rules. I've been doing some research on this. I live in Surrey, BC.

I have lived here for 16.5 years and he has never missed a rent increase up until the pandemic rental increase freeze. He has 4 units in this duplex. I saw on public record that he bought this duplex in 2002 for $375k and now its worth $1.1million. It just drives me nuts that he always complains about market value, never once appreciating our sparkling record as tenants who are quiet and pay on time. Nope, he always wants more.

I am not completely without understanding though and to retain any sort of decent relationship I offered to pay him $100 more. But his greed did not allow him to accept this and instead he wanted $230 more plus yard maintenance (which is his duty as he is renting multiple units).

In addition, he asks me if I could the separate utilities from the rent, and pay half and the tenants downstairs pays half, reducing my rent by this amount and paying the actual costs. I said sure, no problem, just provide me with a bill every month, or yearly if he in on an averaging plan, showing what gas/electricity cost and we're all good. He says that's too much clerical work. I say, Dude, I'm not going to pay some random numbers you are pulling out of your head.

So I declined all of this and said, that due to his behavior, I wouldn't pay a cent more. And in return he says go ahead and get ready to move then. LOL.

I have already read the info from the links above and know my rights, so I said I'm am not moving anywhere unless a valid notice of eviction is given, knowing this dummy has texted me and I have proof of his shenanigans'.

This morning I am sending him a notice via registered letter that I am politely declining his request to alter our tenancy agreement, and that all further communication on the matter should be in writing.

In BC, they can give you notice of personal use ONLY if their Mother, Father, or Child is moving in. They can only give you notice of renovation AFTER they have applied for renovation permits, and AFTER applying to the Tenancy board for approval first. This was instituted in July 2021 to combat RENOVICTIONS. And if they are successful in either case they need to pay me one months rent to fund my moving expenses. Either way, I don't believe he would be successful in this endeavor. If he sells we will deal with any new owners at that point. I honestly don't believe he will be selling. I think he is just trying to squeeze more money from us and is being scummy about it.

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
We've got a woodpecker that's for some reason decided that the edging of our new door frame is a tree!!!!

No obvious damage from it yet, but this is the second time we thought somebody was knocking on the door and this time I could see the little bugger through the window.......

Soultribunal

Staff member
Ya, it really sounds like he is trying to scare you into his rent increase, soul where is this you talking about, what province cause I have never heard the whole 2 year damages. if they don't act in good faith.

But it really doesn't help him if the landlord does want to sell. but this comes off as a threat, Even if you don't have to move I would be looking to move cause your landlord is a real piece of work

Ontario.

As per my Lawyer because I am being rentvitcted after 12 years of being a spotless tenant, and even paying over the provincal rent increases.

-ST

gingerbee

wow, that sucks man sorry. I never had a landlord that was this nuts, I guess I was super lucky my last landlord was amazing.

Thanks, I didn't know this info.

Wait a sec so wants to take your rent from $1200 to like $1350, That's a hell of a jump damn my landlord felt really bad about asking to put my rent up $50 a month

Last edited:

Soultribunal

Staff member
We've got a woodpecker that's for some reason decided that the edging of our new door frame is a tree!!!!

No obvious damage from it yet, but this is the second time we thought somebody was knocking on the door and this time I could see the little bugger through the window.......

Woodpeckers are quite delicious.....just sayin'.

-ST

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Landlords arnt anyones friend. They're running a business, and making money off the backs of renters.

They're not going bankrupt by being landlords. Its a toxic enviroment, and (IMHO) terrible for a society to allow the exploitation to continue as it has.

Latest posts

Twitter