What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Rants etc.....

crazyea

Microsoft's '2FA' is pretty damn slick. Although I'm not sure how you even call it 2FA since you never enter a password.
I have 2FA set up on my microsoft account and I always had a text sent to verify me, then I installed microsoft authenticator and now it sends a notification to my phone, and it actually works almost exactly the same way as googles. With google my email app pops up the request and with microsoft the authenticator pops up the request.

lowfat

Staff member
I have 2FA set up on my microsoft account and I always had a text sent to verify me, then I installed microsoft authenticator and now it sends a notification to my phone, and it actually works almost exactly the same way as googles. With google my email app pops up the request and with microsoft the authenticator pops up the request.
Withe MS authenticator you can have it setup so you never ever enter in your password. For me all I do is enter in email address on device im trying to login with. It shows 3 different numbers on screen. it send notification to phone. Then on phone you select the number shown on the device you are trying to login with. Then it logs me in w/o a password.

crazyea

Withe MS authenticator you can have it setup so you never ever enter in your password. For me all I do is enter in email address on device im trying to login with. It shows 3 different numbers on screen. it send notification to phone. Then on phone you select the number shown on the device you are trying to login with. Then it logs me in w/o a password.
Yes it does that too. But for most things I just have to click approve.

sswilson

Staff member
FWP..... why the hell don't any of the authenticators identify themselves? I wasn't sure if I had the MS one and had to launch it to know for sure if it was the MS one... the Blizzard one looks very similar, and while the Google one's icon is at least relatively unique it doesn't identify itself either......

draemn

Yes it does that too. But for most things I just have to click approve.
I think you are missing the point that 2FA doesn't mean "enter another password." The whole point is to create a secure PHYSICAL device to authenticate the login. The only difference between old fashioned authenticators (that send you a password) and the microsoft app is that the app is now using on device authentication by assuming the device is secured (passcode on your phone lock screen, physical proximity to you, etc).

crazyea

I think you are missing the point that 2FA doesn't mean "enter another password." The whole point is to create a secure PHYSICAL device to authenticate the login. The only difference between old fashioned authenticators (that send you a password) and the microsoft app is that the app is now using on device authentication by assuming the device is secured (passcode on your phone lock screen, physical proximity to you, etc).
Lol. I know how it works man. I’m just saying that sometimes it asks me to choose a number that corresponds to the one on the screen I’m logging in on and sometimes it just asks me to approve the login.