What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Rants etc.....

clshades

mmm...yeh, probably need to put another form of barrier to isolate the wood from the condensation and such.

I'm surprised putting some quiet fans to circulate the air to discourage condensation hasn't become a solution.
My aunt spent thousands on my grandfathers place after he passed to fix them. I think they shouldn't be used at all.

sswilson

Staff member
Firefox keeps "breaking" standard printing on every bloody update. I'm sure it's supposed to be some kind of new fangled feature, but at default settings the default looks like it's printing the upper L/H corner of a 6 page poster.

So far the only "fix" I've found is to go into the settings, find the "print.tab_modal.enabled", and flip the value from "true" to "false".

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
so, finally had the time to open and inspect my TX12 transmitter and...I think I got a used one. the box didn't have a plastic seal, though as my first TX, I don't know if they come with one or not...but the real give away is that the plastic cover over the LCD is all scratched up and there is particulate debris all over the case. stuffed into the lil nooks and cracks and the corners and edges of the little design features and their bumps and stuff.

so I submitted a ticket on Banggood and await a response...

Marzipan

That's a pretty fancy looking controller.... :)

compared to how things were in the 80's and 90's, this thing is amazing! back in those days they used AM / FM radio waves to control the aircraft; you needed one transmitter per plane and your tx make had to match your receiver make because the protocols were proprietary. these tx are using an open sauce firmware called OpenTX or in some cases EdgeTX, which can be used with multi-module radio hardware that can support the majority of protocols out there from all receivers, or have an external module bay that lets you add more protocol support. further, with OpenTX, the transmitters are programmable and you can store up to or beyond 100 different plane profiles. the new top end tx now have color touch screens, LoL!

I bought the TX12 as it's a 'smaller' tx where as the 16s and 16 Pro are the usual fill size. they probably would work for me and I will buy one eventually, but since I have smaller hands, I went with the smaller tx for hopefully better comfort and ease of use.

I did learn that OpenTX is not synonymous with multi-protocol support though as there are some brands that use it as the firmware for their closed hardware system. the biggest offender with that is FlySky and FrSky. not a big issue if you are okay to be locked into a single brands hardware platform.

overall it's pretty cool and I am excited to get this connected to my PC and start practicing on rc flight simulators. it;'s a lot more effective to crash a plane in software and click a button to restart then having the potential of hundreds to thousands in repair bills.

also, flying is not as expensive to get into like it was in the past. you can get foam airplanes from $50 to sky's the limit, or fee plans you can print out and cut out of hobby foamboard from the dollar tree or Walmart or spend a teeny bit extra and get pre-cut foam kits. check out www.flitetest.com. the actual expensive part is the power packs...the motor, servos, control horns, guide rods, etc etc etc. OH! a lot of options under $200 are RTF, ready to fly right out of the box. it comes with a transmitter linked to the receiver in the plane so it's it's own self-contained system.

it's so cool!

edit - one more thing. these tx aren't expensive. the TX12 goes for about $120 CAD, with the top end models with color touch screens beeing between $300 - $400. getting the top end models without color touchscreens are anywhere from $200 - $300.

gingerbee

I personally am a FRsky Taranis kinda guy I loved my Taranis with hall sensors best upgrade you can do to any radio IMHO and frsky receivers are very small with a great range, this model is still the best one for me.

if money was not a huge deal I would go with the original Taranis Q x7 since those are the ones I loved the most, with a Hall sensor there perfect IMHO. If was buying on a budget I would go with this.

wish I had the cash to enjoy drones again but with the way the laws are in Canada it kinda sucks

Last edited:

Marzipan

I personally am a FRsky Taranis kinda guy I loved my Taranis with hall sensors best upgrade you can do to any radio IMHO and frsky receivers are very small with a great range, this model is still the best one for me.

if money was not a huge deal I would go with the original Taranis Q x7 since those are the ones I loved the most, with a Hall sensor there perfect IMHO. If was buying on a budget I would go with this.

wish I had the cash to enjoy drones again but with the way the laws are in Canada it kinda sucks
it's kind of funny as the legal definition of 'drone' in Canada is any aircraft that is remotely controlled by a pilot, so that includes airplanes and heli's, but the actual drones, the quadcopters, actually have further rules / restrictions on them. however, the DJI Mini 1, SE and 2 are all 249g so do not get affected by those enhanced rules unless you're using it professionally in a manner that earns you income.

one way to get around a lot of the restrictions though, is to become an MAAC member and fly at the local airports that have exclusion zone exemptions. or...if you can, go somewhere open / remote and fly where nobody can bother you.

Prince Rupert is actually a lousy place to be an rc airplane pilot as the hospital heli port and then the coast guard / float plane aerodrome exclusion zones pretty much cover all of Rupert. so I can't go to any school feel or city park and fly, legally. ironically though, the MAAC site is a ball park that's literally right beside the hospital heli port is next to it. the edge of the field to the edge of the pad is 30m. you just have to land immediately if a heli approaches.