What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Rants etc.....

gingerbee

Had that happen to me on my old MDX. Scary shit. I was on the big bridge in Kelowna when I noticed something was wrong.
I have had this happen twice over the years, lugs get messed up, or tech/mechanics forget to tighten them properly and your tire tries to fly off on you not good in any way.

Lysrin

I have had this happen twice over the years, lugs get messed up, or tech/mechanics forget to tighten them properly and your tire tries to fly off on you not good in any way.
Costco, at least a few years back, had a service where when they installed tires for you, after a certain time, or within some number of kms, sorry been a while, you could come back, park in front of the garage doors and they would send a tech out to retorque the nuts. I used to think, hmm they should do that right the first time! But given all your feller's stories, maybe it is a nice offering after all! I tend to check them myself, but I'll admit I'm lazy by times and haven't always done that.

gingerbee

they still do that today at my Costco, cause even with the first torque the nuts can loosen up so they re-torque them. I have never had them come off after the first one but I hear it possible.

I stopped going to my local Costco for any kind of work after they forget to put the oil filter cap back onto my mother in laws old chevy equinox. Well if you know this SUV at all the damn oil filter is on top of the side of the engine so pretty damn hard to miss IMHO. She got about 2 mins from the store before she realized something wasn't right, from all the smoke, so lucky for her our dealer (who we love and treats us amazing I know unheard off right) is right there so she jumped into one of there bays to find out that most of the oil was now sprayed out of her engine all over everything, Car/road/engine/engine bay/tires/under the car just about everywhere, so they had to wash the whole damn car in detail and replace the oil and filter but it looked like very little damage or none had happened but with a new bill for the oil change that's all our dealer charged her.

So after all that I told her to take her bill back over to Costco and tell them what happened (this all happened in 3 or fewer hrs) So she did just that and they gave her all her money back and paid for the bill from our dealer, so don't get me wrong they made it right as far as they could but I can't bring myself to trust there tech's after that little mishap.

PS I just tell everyone I know and I do this myself after tires are changed for any reason check you lugs and bolts by hand if you can turn them it's not a good thing LMAO

Dan390

Costco, at least a few years back, had a service where when they installed tires for you, after a certain time, or within some number of kms, sorry been a while, you could come back, park in front of the garage doors and they would send a tech out to retorque the nuts. I used to think, hmm they should do that right the first time! But given all your feller's stories, maybe it is a nice offering after all! I tend to check them myself, but I'll admit I'm lazy by times and haven't always done that.
We do this at my shop as well, and remind all customers that have had 1 or more wheels off to come back after 50 KM and 500 KM to get lugs retorqued, we also have the torque spec on their work order.

Izerous

Folding Team
While I was inline for gas at Costco the tech outride told the person leaving "Come back in about 100km and we will re-torque and check the wheels". When I do it myself I also re-check them in about 100km. Have I ever had one back off... no but it is good practice to get into not just for wheels but other things.

Putting the rear suspension of the e39 back together I'll end up re-torquing everything after a couple drives in part just to make sure I didn't mess anything up after I get to actually drive it.

Catch issues early before something bad actually happens.

clshades

We do this at my shop as well, and remind all customers that have had 1 or more wheels off to come back after 50 KM and 500 KM to get lugs retorqued, we also have the torque spec on their work order.
Good to keep track of that. Even more important to retorque lugs on aluminum rims yes?

Izerous

Folding Team
While you can't do this with customer's cars one trick i started doing years ago with vehicles coming and going is writing the wheel torque specs on the tire pressure sticker in the door. Changing tires around and I don't recall the torque spec open the door and it is right there and it reminds me of the expected tires pressures at the same time.

Last edited:

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
well...damn if I'm not having a rash of 'billing address' issues with my credit card and PayPal!

2 weeks ago I tried to order some shoes for the wife but declined with a billing address incorrect message. I tried to talk with VISA support, but after a few 45 min holds over a couple of days I gave up on that...until today. I tried to pay a PP invoice without logging in and got the address error message again. logged into my PP account, saw my address was correct, so sent funds from my checking account and PP sent the seller my previous address, from almost 2 years ago. I did a second PP payment when my card was declined for another transaction (not via PP but through standard checkout procedure), and again my old address was sent.

I've submitted a ticket to PP to get this resolved and, happily (but still frustratingly) after 30 minutes of hold got through to a CC rep. they said my address was one from 4 years ago, which blew my mind as my card is setup so that the address can only be changed at a branch and I did that ages ago. further to the confusion, I only started getting these address errors 2 weeks ago when I tried to get those shoes. every other order I've made has been fine...Amazon, grocery deliveries, pharmacy. the agent had no idea what could have happened...but dang, frustration! she said the address is corrected now and should be good after 24 hours...

...so I hope!

fortunately both people with PP payments have had no issues shipping to my current address, despite PP advising not to do that. ;)

sswilson

Staff member
UPS Worldwide shipping.............. o_O

Lenovo shipped a stylus with them and it's stuck at the border. Tracking claims that it's waiting on a "non-UPS" broker and that I should contact them to find out what the status is, but doesn't provide any indication of who that broker is.... my question.... if this is being done via UPS worldwide shipping, why exactly is it in the hands of a third party broker??

Not a huge deal.... it's a $50 order that I can only assume will ultimately end up being sent back to lenovo if there's an issue with the paperwork, but it's a pain in the butt.

Latest posts