What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Rants etc.....

Izerous

Folding Team
Took possession of house today. The shed is locked and key wasn't on the keys they gave me. So I go inside to see if I can find the key. Find it... I put the house keys on the counter. Go out to shed, yup key works. Roommate follows me out and closes door....

Go to open lock. It is locked. Some I managed to lock the damn thing and keys are locked inside. Not 5 minutes after taking possession. :LOL:

I wanted to get it rekeyed anyways. So I call locksmith to let me in and rekey. Will be a couple hours. My roommate then breaks in w/ his damn debit card. So decide to add a deadbolt to the one door that doesn't have it.

Locksmith shows up. Seems the backdoor is of a style where the lock and deadbolt can't be rekey'd without a special 'blue key' that hasn't been manufactured in like 10 years so it needs to be replaced.

So $350 down within a couple hours of possession. :(
My realtor has a locksmith on retainer basically and part of the deal was he would send the locksmith the day of possession to meet you to rekey everything anyways. The shed in my case was already locked so he took bolt cutters to both sheds, I had showed up with new locks and handles either way since the previous owners had the cheapest canadian tire stuff installed on all the doors instead of something of half quality.

clshades

Took possession of house today. The shed is locked and key wasn't on the keys they gave me. So I go inside to see if I can find the key. Find it... I put the house keys on the counter. Go out to shed, yup key works. Roommate follows me out and closes door....

Go to open lock. It is locked. Some I managed to lock the damn thing and keys are locked inside. Not 5 minutes after taking possession. :LOL:

I wanted to get it rekeyed anyways. So I call locksmith to let me in and rekey. Will be a couple hours. My roommate then breaks in w/ his damn debit card. So decide to add a deadbolt to the one door that doesn't have it.

Locksmith shows up. Seems the backdoor is of a style where the lock and deadbolt can't be rekey'd without a special 'blue key' that hasn't been manufactured in like 10 years so it needs to be replaced.

But the money you saved on the plumbing work tho :cool:

djbrad

It needed to be done anyway. Now somebody needs more than a credit card to break in.

Congrats on the house!

sswilson

Staff member

Just make sure you've got at least one door that has both deadbolt and door handle locks so that a guest can lock up the house on exit if they don't have a key. Our front door only has the deadbolt, but out back door has both a deadbolt and a keyed handle so you can lock it on the way out without a key if required.

edit: and Gratz again!!!! Getting into a new house is pretty exciting, especially if it's your first.

clshades

We use lockstate wifi locks with the basic package. It allows users to create codes remotely, if needed, to allow contractors and friends access to our place. It also records lock actions so if someone forgets to lock it up you can remotely lock the door.

There's lots of options out there for wifi locks though. I like the option because I don't have to give anyone my code.

Izerous

Folding Team
We use lockstate wifi locks with the basic package. It allows users to create codes remotely, if needed, to allow contractors and friends access to our place. It also records lock actions so if someone forgets to lock it up you can remotely lock the door.

There's lots of options out there for wifi locks though. I like the option because I don't have to give anyone my code.
I'm patiently waiting on the Ubiquiti locks and I'll swap out the one electric lock I have now.
Well the older one without some of the fe

I used one of these on a door... it is even protected by a screen door that DOES NOT make physical contact with the lock. I liked the idea that it prompts you to enter 2 random digits on the screen before you can type in your code as well to ensure your basically leaving fingerprints all over the thing instead of on your same digits over and over again (big fault with a lot of code locks). However i'm not sure what caused it but it looks like someone took a knife to the screen after just a few years. I'm not sure if it is the sun exposure every morning or what is going on but the whole piece of glass is basically trash at this point. I thought maybe it was the screen door hitting it but it doesn't, basically needs to be trashed at this point.

Last edited:

ipaine

Question, do those have a manual option as well? Like can you still get the lock opened in the event of electronic failure?

Latest posts