What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Rants etc.....

sswilson

Staff member
Why is it that the fancy name brand USB 3 desktop card readers I spend good money on every couple of years seem to start throwing errors out at me within a year, yet the cheaparse USB 2 "box on a usb rope style" reader I picked up at the dollar store 10 years ago has never failed me?

lowfat

Staff member
Why is it that the fancy name brand USB 3 desktop card readers I spend good money on every couple of years seem to start throwing errors out at me within a year, yet the cheaparse USB 2 "box on a usb rope style" reader I picked up at the dollar store 10 years ago has never failed me?
What brand?

Some bigger brand names definitely just rebadge cheaper stuff for somethings.

Bought a Sabrent HDD dock a few weeks ago. Spent a bit more on it as I expected more Sabrent. But no, its just a piece of garbage that they've put in their own plastic shell.

sswilson

Staff member
The one currently occupying my desk (that's been flaky for over 6 months) is a Verbatim.

They just seem to start throwing "this disk isn't readable, do you want me to reformat it?" error, while the cheeparse one has no problems reading the card.

sswilson

Staff member
The only place that seems to stock (or even carry) long M4 (or imperial equiv) machine screws in BLACK seems to be fastenal and their local store is closed for walk ins. They're open for business through online ordering, but last time I looked into it their website was completely B2B focused with no way for a non-business individual to get an account.... :(

JD

Staff member
Pixel 3 battery is swelling again :(

I had RMA'd back in September for the same thing. I don't get it, must be the Pixel Stand (wireless charger) that's causing it? Makes no sense.

I took it apart since the back cover was already lifted on the side with the buttons. Overpaid a bit to get a battery and replacement back cover (since it has the adhesive pre-applied) on Amazon by tomorrow. $70 total but hopefully I'll have it back together by end of day.

1594787311290.png

1594787327144.png

clshades

The one currently occupying my desk (that's been flaky for over 6 months) is a Verbatim.

They just seem to start throwing "this disk isn't readable, do you want me to reformat it?" error, while the cheeparse one has no problems reading the card.
I'm done with Verbatim. They'll never see another cent of mine.

Izerous

Folding Team
Pixel 3 battery is swelling again :(

I had RMA'd back in September for the same thing. I don't get it, must be the Pixel Stand (wireless charger) that's causing it? Makes no sense.

My understanding was wireless and quick charge were not great for overall battery life due to the currents and heat cycling they cause.

lowfat

Staff member
The only place that seems to stock (or even carry) long M4 (or imperial equiv) machine screws in BLACK seems to be fastenal and their local store is closed for walk ins. They're open for business through online ordering, but last time I looked into it their website was completely B2B focused with no way for a non-business individual to get an account.... :(
Although this probably won't help. But Aliexpress ftw for mounting hardware. I've bought every length I could possibly need from M1 to M5. When I know I'm going to use a lot of one type, I'll immediately go and order more to keep my stock up.

sswilson

Staff member
Although this probably won't help. But Aliexpress ftw for mounting hardware. I've bought every length I could possibly need from M1 to M5. When I know I'm going to use a lot of one type, I'll immediately go and order more to keep my stock up.

I checked and maybe I'm doing it wrong but I couldn't find any longer M4 machine screws.... I'll have to look again.

Latest posts