What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Rants etc.....

sswilson

Staff member
I don't even mind waiting a day or so for the first responder, but it's the turning off of the conversation without any updates that gets me. Change your mind? Fine, let me know and we'll part on friendly terms. Make arrangements for me to contact you at a certain time for your address but then don't respond to any messages.... I've got a few choice words for you. :)

Lot's (ok, 4 :) ) of initial tire kickers who either didn't follow through, or who were trying to conduct business via 1 sentence messages every 2 - 4 hours (sorry, but if you can't commit to respond back in a timely fashion when I'm responding within a minute or two, I don't want to do business with you), but ultimately sold within 24 hours for my asking price without any attempts at haggling suggests I had the pricing right.

clshades

Once again disappointed by MSI, the streak continues. They have a serious lack of quality control and serious lack of effort. This is thier thermal paste job straight from factory. I cleaned it up.with iso and a soft toothbrush, and re-pasted. Went from 85C stock settings - max fans to 70 ish max fans. Going to try the Kraken AIO mod and see what it does.

Hoping this holds me over until I can get a 3080. Rendering for 20-30 minutes is gonna bake this thing.

1080ti
20201125_205853.jpg

clshades

Once again disappointed by MSI, the streak continues. They have a serious lack of quality control and serious lack of effort. This is thier thermal paste job straight from factory. I cleaned it up.with iso and a soft toothbrush, and re-pasted. Went from 85C stock settings - max fans to 70 ish max fans. Going to try the Kraken AIO mod and see what it does.

Hoping this holds me over until I can get a 3080. Rendering for 20-30 minutes is gonna bake this thing.

1080ti
View attachment 30040

Re-pasted below
20201125_211825.jpg

lowfat

Staff member
IMHO should really be any issue w/ too much paste. It will just be pushed out of the way if there is excess. Better too much than too little.

ipaine

That really doesn't explain the 15c temp drop though.
Well from the first shot I see the issue. While too much paste usually isn't an issue, it is when the contact pressure is not enough. And looking at those pictures it sure looks like it was not mounted with enough. Considering the amount it should have been pushed out more than it was.

And that would explain the big drop in temps.

clshades

Well from the first shot I see the issue. While too much paste usually isn't an issue, it is when the contact pressure is not enough. And looking at those pictures it sure looks like it was not mounted with enough. Considering the amount it should have been pushed out more than it was.

The other problem is the paste acts like hot gravy? Holding heat that doesn't need to be there. Franky it's a joke that MSI thinks this is remotely acceptable. Massive waste of paste. Even my paste job is a little too much.

draemn

Exactly. Thermal paste is worse at transferring heat than the surfaces they are connecting, but it's way better than air.

FreeKnight

I'm sitting on a cart at Newegg.ca and debating to pull the pin on a motherboard and RAM. I don't like shopping at Newegg, but the ram I'd like isn't in stock at Memex, and the price difference at newegg balances out their crappy shipping rates.

It's don't like buying from Newegg, but maybe I'll suck it up and just get the case/processor from Memex

clshades

I'm sitting on a cart at Newegg.ca and debating to pull the pin on a motherboard and RAM. I don't like shopping at Newegg, but the ram I'd like isn't in stock at Memex, and the price difference at newegg balances out their crappy shipping rates.

It's don't like buying from Newegg, but maybe I'll suck it up and just get the case/processor from Memex
I resist buying from Newegg but I've never had any issue either so...

Latest posts