What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Rants etc.....

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
Why do companies slap gaming onto everything!? Why do prebuilts use fancy cases and weak gpus so they can market them!? Why do gaming mice have gamer asthetics and rgb!?
well...because gamers are the target audience for said products. there are non-gamer options out there...fewer than most of us would like, but they're there. also...your rant about gamer mice having gamer aesthetics and RGB is kinda silly as it's a gamer mouse, LoL!

WeaksauceDoggo

well...because gamers are the target audience for said products. there are non-gamer options out there...fewer than most of us would like, but they're there. also...your rant about gamer mice having gamer aesthetics and RGB is kinda silly as it's a gamer mouse, LoL!
i know its silly, its just my personal preference since i want a gaming mouse, but not the gAmeR aSTheTicS. but they could lower the cost of they didn't add the gamer asthetics. But there are a couple gaming mice that i like the look of. Logitech MX518 is one of them.

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
I wish "cable" providers would invest a bit more money into their hardware. Currently on my third bell 4K PVR STB and have a 4'th inbound because of recent random reboots/black screens. This is over that many years, and is made even worse by the fact that I don't need the 4K part, but they no longer have a FHD PVR available. The first one failed within a year, the second wasn't quite DOA, but died within a couple of weeks, and the third was temperamental from the get-go (kept dropping the BT remote).

On the positive side, the tech call was connected without being on hold, and the process was quick (they could see some errors on their end) and relatively painless. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll have upgraded to a slightly higher model number STB.

Soultribunal

Staff member
I wish "cable" providers would invest a bit more money into their hardware. Currently on my third bell 4K PVR STB and have a 4'th inbound because of recent random reboots/black screens. This is over that many years, and is made even worse by the fact that I don't need the 4K part, but they no longer have a FHD PVR available. The first one failed within a year, the second wasn't quite DOA, but died within a couple of weeks, and the third was temperamental from the get-go (kept dropping the BT remote).

On the positive side, the tech call was connected without being on hold, and the process was quick (they could see some errors on their end) and relatively painless. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll have upgraded to a slightly higher model number STB.

I find it to be hit or miss with them sometimes. We have had Rogers for Eons, and they seem to go through generations where the Hardware is rock stable, and then where the hardware is nothing more than a branded POS. I do agree they need to invest though in it, as it can be a PITA to have to constantly troubleshoot etc.

That being said, my Rogers fiber right now is on the highest uptime I've ever had which is nice. The modem is rock solid, which is a far cry from the previous generation (which, I think I went through 4 modems).

-ST

JD

Staff member
Currently on my third bell 4K PVR STB and have a 4'th inbound because of recent random reboots/black screens. This is over that many years, and is made even worse by the fact that I don't need the 4K part, but they no longer have a FHD PVR available.
Yikes, that sucks. I've had my HD one for over 5yr now? I don't know, the rental charge is gone off my bill as I've had it long enough past the "buy out" period I guess. No issues with it. I feel like the image quality is a bit better recently too actually, though bitrates and such seem the same. Glad I didn't bother upgrading to 4K though!

anabioz

Sold a DDR4-2666 64GB kit on eBay for $180. Created a shipping label and dropped it off at the post office a week later but specified tracking info in paypal. The guy in QC opens up a dispute that he 'never received it', and once tracking has been confirmed by eBay closes a dispute and leaves negative feedback saying shipping took too long... I hate people like that... Stellar feedback for close to a decade and this ass wipe demolishes it like that...

So I reported the buyer and he is no longer registered with eBay and my negative feedback is gone. Justice has been served.

lowfat

Staff member
Man this week just ain't going well for me hardware wise. Keyboard has had some chattering issues. Likely caused by me. Ordered some replacement Kailh hot swap sockets for my keyboard from Aliexpress. They showed up today. Open up the keyboard. Totally different socket, I ordered the wrong ones. Put keyboard back together and its humped. Like 10+ keys straight don't work. I replace them w/ old NK Sherbets which I think caused the issue since the tinned leads from me using them in a soldered keyboard previously damaged the sockets. Now most are working somewhat. But I now have to live w/ the chattering issues for another month at least.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Man this week just ain't going well for me hardware wise. Keyboard has had some chattering issues. Likely caused by me. Ordered some replacement Kailh hot swap sockets for my keyboard from Aliexpress. They showed up today. Open up the keyboard. Totally different socket, I ordered the wrong ones. Put keyboard back together and its humped. Like 10+ keys straight don't work. I replace them w/ old NK Sherbets which I think caused the issue since the tinned leads from me using them in a soldered keyboard previously damaged the sockets. Now most are working somewhat. But I now have to live w/ the chattering issues for another month at least.
I have no clue where you find the hours in the day to do the things you do...between your 3D printer, side projects like these keyboards, and spending 10 days overclocking your CPU...

lowfat

Staff member
I have no clue where you find the hours in the day to do the things you do...between your 3D printer, side projects like these keyboards, and spending 10 days overclocking your CPU...
I don't have time for everything. :(

I have so many hobbies that I can't keep up with. I've been trying to cut back on most. Cut headlight modding out completely thankfully. Case modding / sleeving I'm done, right after I finish my server case. I had planned to cut 3d printing out once I finished my machines. But it hasn't gone well.

Shadowmeph

not really a rant per say but when I woke up this morning go to check my email my internet was out and this program i have that pings every 15 seconds showed that it was out for over an hour . as I was doing the whole rebooting the modem which didn't work then connection directly to the modem and rebooting the modem . going through the while ordeal of figuring if it was on my end or ( subcontract through shaws end) I realized how dependent I am plus probably everyone else in north America is on the internet this both bothered and a little scared me because of this addiction I have now that I newer really admitted to before.
because of my accident back in February I havent been working so in that sense I cannot use the I need the internet for work excuse although I do need it to answer the covid questions online before my physio appointments or do I they do have the clip board on the counter at the office with the same questions.
then this started me on all the brain washing going on used through the internet before it was radio\television commercials now its the internet. als so much information coming from the net both real and unreal way to much its like an old book scifi book I read in the mid 1970s and part of the story was how everyone was plugged in to something that they couldn't live with out I wonder how long I could last if I unplugged. I know if I was in the back woods I could last very long but where I live... I wonder

Latest posts