What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Rants etc.....

JD

Staff member
Google's Authenticator doesn't require any network access that I'm aware of. Something like Microsoft's Authenticator where there is push notifications as well, partially I suppose, but you should still be able to manually enter the OTP with the phone offline.

Maybe whatever screen/prompt you're getting just is "forcing" you into options you don't want? Go into your Account Settings > Security > 2-Step Verification and set it up how you want instead?

I went into mine and if I click "add phone", there is the option for a voice call too.

1634763867687.png

crazyea

It's not mandatory though.
I'm assuming the default is for authenticator. How about "call my land line with a code" as an option? All of your options assume a standard prepaid cell account (A paygo SpeakOut account has no data and costs money for SMS).

They appear to be pushing this out to folks who have an active android phone with the same account without any consideration as to what type of account that phone is on.

Press earlier this year suggested that folks will be able to opt out of this, but for the moment there doesn't appear to be an option to do that.

I have that option in my google account security settings. Plus Google prompts (email verify), authenticator, and backup codes. Oh, and security key (usb flash).

google phone.png

crazyea

Google's Authenticator doesn't require any network access that I'm aware of. Something like Microsoft's Authenticator where there is push notifications as well, partially I suppose, but you should still be able to manually enter the OTP with the phone offline.

Maybe whatever screen/prompt you're getting just is "forcing" you into options you don't want? Go into your Account Settings > Security > 2-Step Verification and set it up how you want instead?

I went into mine and if I click "add phone", there is the option for a voice call too.

View attachment 32684
This site is weird. Sometimes posts, like yours, are hidden until I post and then it shows them.

sswilson

Staff member
This is something new. It's not the same 2Fa settings that have been around and available for quite some time. This is a specific android/google notification on my better half's phone stating that her login options are going to change. There's an actual "wrench" notification at the top of her phone bar.

As far as the weirdness goes... when you reply to one post it initially shows it as the next post after the one you're responding to regardless of whether or not there are any existing post beyond it.

sswilson

Staff member
Follow up.... after all that bitching I just went ahead and enabled it on my better half's phone.

It doesn't require the authenticator, the first option is for a "trusted device" (presumably the phone you have attached to your account) that will have a notification pushed to it and then a second "backup" option that can be text or call to the number of your choice (defaults to the number they have on file which makes no sense if that happens to be your cell number since the backup is supposed to be in case you don't have access to your "trusted device".

And to be clear... 2Fa isn't required every time you log into your account, only the first time on a new device/browser (or fresh install of the OS).

edit: This is the new policy....

sswilson

Staff member
Ok just wondering this 2fa for google is with new account setups ??? cause no one in my house has been bugged by this

This is a new policy that's supposed to be coming into play later this month. I suspect they're targeting accounts which have both PC and android logins.

My better half received an email yesterday informing her that they'd be changing her to 2Fa as of a date later this month. She also received a notification icon on her phone. The email also offered her the option to enable it immediately, but made zero reference to being able to opt out.